What was this?

Marmite

Mar 15, 2006
Lancashire/Manchester
Went seeing a couple of ponies the other day, bought for kiddies, parents are vague friends of the family. Was helping groom one, and picked out her feet. Her front hooves seemed normal, but her back ones were strange underneath. She seemed sore in the sole of her hoof, not the frog at all, and it was kind of...well, not soft, but the sole was lumpy if that makes sense, and some kind of came up a bit when picked and the bits that came up were white? Does that make any kind of sense at all? :confused:

Just wondering what it was, I haven't said anything to the owners as they were singing the farriers praises and I dont want to cause conflict where it isnt necessary. She didnt seem too sore, but was kicking a bit when i scraped the muck from the sole. Thanks for any ideas.

It sounds like it might well have been exfoliating sole, if he horse isn't getting much wear and tear on its feet it can build up and then come off in bits or even big lumps. Scraping it off, especially if it's soft shouldn't normally cause any discomfort.

newrider.com