What would put you off buying a horse?

Sparklie

Jun 3, 2005
hartlepool
Another thread got me thinking (about the horse bought for a novice but ridden in a Pelham)...

If you went to view a horse what would put you off buying?

Are there things written in adverts where you really like the horse but would never enquiry because of a certain comment?

I suppose it's a bit like the what colour or breed would you never have thread too.

Personally after previous experience I wouldn't have a horse who wasn't 100% to handle on the ground. And I wouldn't buy something that needed a very strong bit

Getting to a viewing and seeing the horse is already tacked up - makes me want to turn around and get straight back in the car!

A bit I deemed to be strong would put me off but having tried horses who were overbitted by owners for cosmetic reasons, or because their instructor or mate told them it would go better in this I try to look past it but will ask about the choice of bit.

I wouldn't buy a horse that was bolshy or bargy on the ground or that tanked when ridden. A little napping doesn't put me off too much to an extent but anything too bad or that looks like it could develop into something bigger is a no. I tend to ask a lot of questions - often the same ones rephrased, mostly unintentionally - and I'd be put off by any deviation from previous answers. Also a horse that doesn't pick its feet up would trigger alarm bells.

Having worked for a few dealers I also now tend to look very closely for any sign that the horse has already been worked that day and if it has I'm not getting on it!

I don’t like to see experienced rider only. I am an experienced ride but I don’t want to deal with a nutcase. I like my bones the way they are thank you.

I don’t like it when I arrive and the horse is already tacked up and perhaps even being ridden. Big warning sign for me.

Biting, kicking, barging, pulling back, rearing, bucking. If the horse was an unhandled brumby I would understand but really if a horse is being ridden you should have worked out the ground issues before hand.

I like reasonably straight legs. I’m not after perfect conformation but I tend to avoid ones with severe issues even if they seem sound now.

Well... When looking at adverts I have to admit to using the pictures a great deal - ie with that horse in the Pelham for my novice friends - I would have seen that Pelham in the pic and told them that if they were going to view then not to ride it in the Pelham.

I seem to find faults in most adverts tbh, I seem to find myself reading between the lines - 'loves hunting' I often read as 'can be strong and likes to go fast'

I'm another who doesn't like to find a horse already tacked up. When we've been looking for horses I've always tried to read between the lines and ask some pretty pertinent questions. On the phone to gauge reaction from the seller. I also find it interesting to see how other people at the yard the horse is being sold from appear to feel about the horse, quite interesting body language sometimes.

Poor ground manners wouldn't worry me as long as not dangerous but bucking, rearing or trying to bomb off under saddle would, definitely.

i wouldnt believe in what an ad says in the first place. dont they all say '100% farrier, traffic, load' these days? eg i'd only believe these if I've seen it for myself. i'd be more put off by mentioned health probs I didn't have the facilities to deal with (or didnt want to contend with).

When i was looking (not that I viewed many), I went very much on the pictures. I woudln't consider anything that was ridden in a bit stronger than a snaffle and wouldn't even consider a horse in a martingale. I looked very much at the head carriage and any indication that the horse may be strong.

I only saw 2 before I got Ben. The first was lovely but hopping lame, and the second was also lovely but we just didn't quite gell. So pleased that I waited for Ben to come along. Everyone used to tell me that as soon as I met the right horse I would know - I had my eye on Ben for the last year and the second that I found out he was for sale I knew that I was going to buy him.

I tend to take 100% with pinch of salt, simply because horses are not robots. Anything totally perfect wouldn't be in my price range, plus wouldn't really suit me. I am used to a challenge and my latest cob was honestly described.
The owner could not cope, they gave me all her good things and told me all the not good.
I would say she is excellent to catch as comes running.

Horses behave differently in different situations so what may behave perfectly for the owner, doesn't mean it will for you. Bits may not put me off i would ask why. Sometimes owner is nervous or as someone mentioned the animal is strong. Typically seen in show ring though, so depends if photo is taken in a particular class. Our shows are anyway. To a point you can't really make judgements.

Last edited:
Not sure what would actually put me off buying a horse, I can manage a variety of problems health-wise that a horse might have (lets face it Joe was the most interesting horse in the world health wise!!!!) but I think I'd be dubious about a horse that was bad to handle on the ground. I wouldn't necessarily be put off a horse that was only ridden in a Pelham - I'd take my instructors advice on that one? I believe Storm was ridden in both before I got her - and she's gone well in a plain snaffle ever since. I'd always take somebody with me how knew my capabilities and could advise me properly.

What always intrigues me are the adverts for a variety of lovely horses that boast that they load well, shoe, box, clip etc hunt, make you a cup of tea even (not quite!) but then as a last word in the ad it says "not a novice ride" - what DOES that mean??????????! If a horse has hunted, done fun rides, hacks alone, schools well etc, how can it NOT be suitable for a novice???????? NOt like its totally greeen eh?

Wouldn't buy one that was parelli trained or whip shy. After having experience of both on our yard I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. Couldn't do anything with either of the parelli ones, they were the rudest horses I have ever come across.
If buying a youngster, I'd rather have a horse unbroken than lightly broken, then you know the jobs being done properly if you're doing it yourself. I'd also never buy a cremello just coz they creep me out! Would tend to go for an ISH or ID.

5* home only - I would die if I wasn't considered good enough.

Needs an experienced, quiet rider - borderline bolter in my book.

Manageable sweet itch - looks like a problem I could do without

Can be a bit spooky on hacks but an experienced rider can easily push on - I would see this as an ongoing issue that might get worse with time?

Weight carrier suitable for mother/daughter share - I might weigh as much as the mother carrying the daughter, I don't want to have that conversation.

Bits don't worry me - I'd rather try a horse that's easily stoppable in whatever bit it's in, than be carted off in a snaffle.

Sweet itch is a definite no-no, wouldn't even ring up. Might be 'mild' or 'manageable' but I don't want to have to manage it.

The word 'mare' in an advert would put me off :tongue::giggle:

Don't know why I'm even answering this question, though, as I bought a 13 year old ex racer who'd had a tendon injury, so why his ad didn't put me off I don't know!

I tend to take ads with a pinch of salt and go with what you can see in front of you.

If you're going to see a horse you need to have a clear idea of what you want it for as that is going to be the basis upon which you make any decisions.

Personally, I like to see character and something I can work on, however dangerous behaviour is another thing altogether. I think you also have to listen to your gut feeling, you could go to see what looks like perfect horse but if something doesn't feel right then you shouldn't ignore it.

What always intrigues me are the adverts for a variety of lovely horses that boast that they load well, shoe, box, clip etc hunt, make you a cup of tea even (not quite!) but then as a last word in the ad it says "not a novice ride" - what DOES that mean??????????! If a horse has hunted, done fun rides, hacks alone, schools well etc, how can it NOT be suitable for a novice???????? NOt like its totally greeen eh?

Well Charlie does all that (apart from the tea-making :tongue:) but he is not, imo, a novice ride. He is enthusiastic and so can get strong out hacking. Never tanks off but needs an assertive rider who can keep him calm and listening. He can spook at unfamiliar things, and if a novice at that point, grips tight, or tenses he'll think "what, what" and get worse. Whereas if you sit still and do nothing he will take confidence from you and walk past whatever he was unsure of with no further reaction. He can get excited in front of fences and needs a rider to balance him - again clinging on won't help, you need to be calm and to ride positively. Not 'naughty' or 'bad' but needs a rider with some experience and confidence to ride him.

To me a novice ride is a horse who will look after you and not be too bothered about your reactions to things. Not one that needs you to guide and direct him and who will get stressed if the rider gets scared. My friend's horse slows down if she loses a stirrup :wub: THAT'S a novice ride!

I think I've been far too honest in trying to sell Charlie, if people read 'not a novice ride' as 'lunatic'.

Where to begin???

TB or TBX? Self Explanatory

Prefers hacking in company? Yeah right, so rears and spins for home when alone then?

Not novice ride? You'd best put your BP on for this little beauty.

Wasted in present home? They are terrified of it.

Needs a competitive home? They are terrified of it and unless you lunge for 2 hours before you get on so will you be.

Real novice plod? Tis almost dead on its feet and you will be lucky to ever get a trot out of it.

Heartbreaking Sale? This horse has broken my heart, my leg and my bank account so you can have it now.

In fact I suppose, if you like the picture just go and look at it, almost every advert is laced with lies and half truths so just make you own judgement.:wink:

Open to vet-we can't find what is wrong.

I guess everyone.s interpretation is different. A confident experienced rider would say one thing about a horse, a novice something else.

Not novice ride could simply be that the current owner has schooled the horse, they go nicely and they don't want a novice who may not yet understand how to carry this on.

Prefers hacking in company? Yeah right, so rears and spins for home when alone then?

Not novice ride? You'd best put your BP on for this little beauty.

Wasted in present home? They are terrified of it.

Needs a competitive home? They are terrified of it and unless you lunge for 2 hours before you get on so will you be.

Real novice plod? Tis almost dead on its feet and you will be lucky to ever get a trot out of it.

Heartbreaking Sale? This horse has broken my heart, my leg and my bank account so you can have it now.

Love it!

Good doer: Fat as a barrel
Easy to do: We never ride
Affectionate: Wipes his head all over me and treads on my toes
Easy to catch: bowls me over in his enthusiasm for tea
Genuine sale: he really IS for sale
No timewasters: No-one likes my horse which must be THEIR FAULT

:tongue:

Where to begin???

TB or TBX? Self Explanatory

Yeah I really hate my safe, reliable, low maintenance, snaffle mouthed, good looking horse! :D

In regards to those put off by stronger bits, three (actually more if I think about it)of the safest hacks I know are ridden in stronger bits, one of the reasons they are so safe is because they DON'T react to subtle hints, so they do on occasion need slightly stronger aids.

I think I've been far too honest in trying to sell Charlie, if people read 'not a novice ride' as 'lunatic'.

Lol, I know it is so open to interpretation - know what you mean about a novice horse not being phased by a nervy rider etc. Sort of a bit like the ones you might find at a treking centre? Your friends horse sounds fab - fancy slowing down if she loses a stirrup - what a star!!!!!!

I've been looking at cars for a part ex change this year, and I've seen the words 'no time wasters', which put me off one dealer immediately. You need to see and feel the metal before putting any money down on the table and this can take time. This is same as buying a horse, and TBH the money to buy a horse is not far off the same value as buying a second hand car really.

newrider.com