What would you do if you owned a horse that went lame?

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
And it went lame whilst you were away. Yard owner expected it walked twice a day every day over Christmas and New year's. Also legs washed, cream applied, skipped out etc. You have 2 sharers who both share the horse one day per week usually and it's kept on part livery yard.

If it was me I would first of all ask the yard owner how much they would charge to do these things and if they had time. I would then ask the sharers if they were available and ask how much they would want for doing it.

So what about you? How much would expect to pay or would you not expect to pay? Just really interested as this is a scenario that has recently happened and I know we all have differing views of how much sharers should be involved so was just wondering really!?

If your being paid to do it then it should be walked twice a day, jobs done. I would ask one person that i trusted to do this. That many not necessarily be the sharer. Depends also on the state of the injury. As long as they were competent to look after the injury that occured.
Or split so one person did morning the other evening, but sometimes too many cooks on that scenario.
Ive looked after other peoples on occasion when theyve gone away and never really worried about payment side of things. Id rather just look after the horse to the best of my ability. Do the best job i can do.

Reactions: Kite_Rider and MrA
When I’ve shared, taking care of injuries was just part of it on your days, taking the rough with the smooth is part of the not-quite-but-almost ownership experience.

Most yards would charge extra for doing anything that takes more than a few minutes above and beyond normal services, the cost would likely depend on how long it takes, I’d base it on £10/hr as that’s about the going rate for freelance grooms here.

Both my shares were owned by the YOs. Pre Covid I paid only if the horses were OK for me to ride.
Any care I gave was because I wanted to. I took the old girl out to graze in hand and no money was involved. But hacked her in gentle walk only and was paying to do that till it was stopped. A sore point. YO's friend told her it wasnt fair to take my money. Mare was then removed from the yard to retire.

At my current yard we groom and tack up our shares but that is all. There are enough volunteers to do the yard work. Just as I did at my old yard when I was their age. Covid seems to have increased the man power available. Grand daughter back from uni rides in my place was told she wasnt needed.

Reactions: MrA
Both my shares were owned by the YOs. Pre Covid I paid only if the horses were OK for me to ride.
Any care I gave was because I wanted to. I took the old girl out to graze in hand and no money was involved. But hacked her in gentle walk only and was paying to do that till it was stopped. A sore point. YO's friend told her it wasnt fair to take my money. Mare was then removed from the yard to retire.

At my current yard we groom and tack up our shares but that is all. There are enough volunteers to do the yard work. Just as I did at my old yard when I was their age. Covid seems to have increased the man power available. Grand daughter back from uni rides in my place was told she wasnt needed.
That’s more paying for rides than an actual share where you share the care, management and exercise. I’d not expect to do chores if that wasn’t part of the original agreement.

I think it is the owners responsibility to either walk the horse themselves or pay the yard to do it. From my experience of Ben’s dramatic personality change on box rest, you need someone experience who can cope with a horse on box rest. To me, this doesn’t fall under the sharers responsibility and is above and beyond the daily care required. I also think that a consistent approach is needed, especially if bandages and treatment is needed.

Reactions: MrA
I think it's really interesting to hear the different opinions. When Ale went lame I didn't expect anything from my sharers, they discontinued their days and popped down twice the whole time which was fine by me.

Would any of you expect the sharers to cover every day?

Reactions: Kite_Rider
If they're sharers rather than people who pay to ride then I'd expect them to do what is needed on their days, it's part and parcel of sharing. That said it would depend on if I thought they were capable of doing it, I'd rather do it myself or pay someone capable than have an accident and @Mary Poppins has a valid point about consistency in bandage changes etc. If it's a long term situation then I'd want to talk to the sharers to check they were happy with the situation.

I have never shared but if I did then I'd expect to do what was needed as and when and carry on paying. All part of sharing but that's only my view. If it became a very long term situation then probably have to have a get together with the owner and a re-think depending on the likelihood of the horse returning to being ridden.

I think it's really interesting to hear the different opinions. When Ale went lame I didn't expect anything from my sharers, they discontinued their days and popped down twice the whole time which was fine by me.

I wouldn’t expect a sharer to cover everyday, however, when I was sharing I would happily volunteer to care fully while the owner was away if it was something I was confident doing.

I would only expect a sharer to do their normal days.
All of my answers are assuming it’s a sudden ailment that is expected to heal relatively quickly, if the horse is going to be on box rest for 6 months I think you’d have to discuss it but expecting them to give up the share in all likelihood at which point you’d have to make your own arrangements for care.

Reactions: carthorse
newrider.com