whats in your first aid kit?

suzyqet

Sep 4, 2008
Hampshire
ok, I'm ashamed to admit, that my first aid kit consists of sudocrem, purple spray, vet gamgee, animalintex and 2 vetwrap bandages. Oh, and hibiscrub!

I'm now looking into making this an extensive kit and was wondering what everyone else has in theirs?

I might be able to get a decent kit together then.

Thanks all.

At the moment I have (must get more) Sudacream, Vasline, Pirton, Liquid Parrfin, bandges, anti spray, tape, gloves, plasters(lol) vet powder, sissors.

My first aid kit sounds rather like yours. I have hibiscrub, gamgee, animalintex, 4 rolls of vetwrap, purple spray, wound powder, Sudocrem, antiseptic cream, eye drops and a couple of sachets of bute. I've got a pair of very sharp scissors and a couple of Melolin dressings as well.

If i was sensible, I might have something like preemie baby disposable nappies for poulticing, but i also have a 24 hour Tesco down the road, so anything in that vein is easily obtainable. To be honest, I wouldnt be happy to treat anything myself that needed any more equipment than that I already have.

The most important thing in my first aid kit is my vet's telephone number.

ohh i knew there was something i wanted to get to put in mine..... sachets of bute just incase.

In mine i have already;
animalintex, bandages, tape, hibiscrub, purple spray, scissors, vasoline, wound cream.
I really need to get a few more bandages as i used a couple of mine to temp hold my fence post together where my sisters horse chomped it.:)

ohh i knew there was something i wanted to get to put in mine..... sachets of bute just incase.

I really need to get a few more bandages as i used a couple of mine to temp hold my fence post together where my sisters horse chomped it.:)

Firstly, how do you all manage to get hold of bute sachets? My vets wont let me have any unless they have to come out as a call out!!!

And I love the bit about repairing your fence - it is a first aid kit after all - first aid for fences too in fact, lol!

To be honest i have`nt tried yet.
But my cousin mentiond it the other day and i thought it would be really handy to have in there.Im not sure how she gets hers..
ill ring her in the morning and ask her.

I know there is the alternative to bute, cnt remember what it is called ill go have investigate on the net n get bk.:D

Bute less & no bute

think it contains devils claw so its an alternative really to it.

Can you phone your vet up and get it for your first aid box or do the vet have to have a reason to prescribe it to your horse

You can't get bute without prescription. I have some because a very kind friend gave me some. If you have a kindly vet they may give you more than you actually need. If your horse needs regular bute for a long period, you may find it cheaper to just get the prescription from your vet (they will probably charge you for it) and get the bute from one of the online vet medicine sites.

I wouldn't waste my bandages on a fence. That's why God invented bailer twine!

to be honest that was the first thing i grabbed when i went into my shed!!

It was the post to my sons ponys field and i knew if he got out i would have been broncked around the field.

At the time it happened he had a thing for bull chaseing me.

Mine's not much better than yours suzyqet, and I'm supposed to be a vet nurse! I have bandages and leg pads, Aerotet Forte(antibac spray) Betadine wash, Equiskin cream, PVP iodine spray, emu oil rub, aloe vera gel, UMF 35 manuka honey, LegTite poultice, Sparrow's Udder Salve(yes, it's for cows, but heals wounds up faster than any of the other things I have, and doesn't get rubbed off or attract insects:rolleyes:), Penetrene liniment, KY jelly, Animalintex, scissors, a hoof boot, vetwrap, Epsom salts... thats all I think for actual products, I keep a digital thermometer and a decent stethoscope as well, but didn't even have that until I started endurance.

newrider.com