What's involved in Novice 24 test???

Floob

Aug 21, 2005
Glasgow
Before I write anything else: I DONT want a copy of the test just yet (I will be good and buy it if I need it)

I just want to know which movements are involved so that I can get an idea whether it is possible to have Tarquin up to standard by the 29th October. If it doesn't seem possible I won't enter, but would like to have an idea of what we should be working towards.

So no tiny circles in canter?
I think we could manage a 15m circle nicely in canter at this point (could go smaller but would be unbalanced and messy). Medium trot shouldn't be too much of a problem (have been working on that).
Give and retake the reins, well we have a while to learn that one properly without him tanking off.

Thanks

no - only 20m circles in trot, going into canter over X so halfway round the circle. the give and retake is in canter across the long diagonal - you canter at X, fin ish circle in canter, go on round the school, go to change diagonal, G&R, then trot at the endof the diagonal.

I like N24, lovely test, the hardest movements are as Mehitabel has said, it rides lovely, although my boy always anticipates the 2nd lot of circles:rolleyes:

i think the two half 10m circles are the trickiest bit , but you'd have plenty of time to practice them , judges will look for a nice change of bend & that your horse stays soft & doesn't hollow between the two

my tip would be if you may find this bit hard , to perfect it in walk & them work on it in trot

good luck

Floob said:
Before I write anything else: I DONT want a copy of the test just yet (I will be good and buy it if I need it)

I just want to know which movements are involved so that I can get an idea whether it is possible to have Tarquin up to standard by the 29th October. If it doesn't seem possible I won't enter, but would like to have an idea of what we should be working towards.

you wouldn't be doing the interschools competition would you? i did that a few years ago (too old now).
N24 is a lovely test, rides very fluently and as people have already said there is nothing overly taxing. the give and retakes are accross the diagonal and then you trot so if you can your horse to learn that G&R does not mean tank and that you are going to be slowing down soon then all the better (but don't let there be any antisipation)

Good luck:)

coss- yep, that's the one, not sure whether to enter yet though. It is quite faraway (no pun intended) for us and I don't know what standard everyone else is

Floob said:
coss- yep, that's the one, not sure whether to enter yet though. It is quite faraway (no pun intended) for us and I don't know what standard everyone else is

how far (roughly in miles)? standards really do vary and just lately the turnout has been very poor as in the show was cancelled for the dressage and jumping due to lack of interest. i really wanted to do the dressage as i would have been the final comp i could go to but a)had no transport b)not enough interest from my school c)comp cancelled as only one team entered :eek:
If your doing the novice test then you must be doing the 1m course of jumps right? my school had my friend and i with reasonable horses and then two others who had no chance what so ever. My friend and i practised the jumps mostly as they are up to full height with fillers and spreads etc so we concentrated on that as we knew we couldn't improve on the dressage side that much with the limited time to practice. it was just a case of lets get the horse's eye level up to height as they are so used to looking at jumps on the ground.
The majority of people competing (this was two years ago) were of reasonably high quality but there were a few with pretty bad dressage scores. Most people concentrated on getting a good round in the jumping (our horses didn't like it and refused at the third fence until we were eliminated :eek::()
If your horse works with a consistent outline and has got some difference in the medium trot from the working and you can control the G&R then i see no reason why you shouldn't have a bash. Sometimes its good to get some experience in travelling further to be somewhere completely different. :)

umm yes the consistent reasonable outline again. Thats our main tiny problem, he loves working like a giraffe. He is a lot better than when we got him.
He was at the livery yard at Faraway when we bought him, so hopefully he'll be more relaxed than at other places. The jumping is 90cm and even that is putting a lot of people off. Tarquin can manage easily, but Ruby our pony cannot.

umm yes the consistent reasonable outline again. Thats our main tiny problem, he loves working like a giraffe. He is a lot better than when we got him.
He was at the livery yard at Faraway when we bought him, so hopefully he'll be more relaxed than at other places. The jumping is 90cm and even that is putting a lot of people off. Tarquin can manage easily, but Ruby our pony cannot.

They've put it down then. The jumping was putting loads of people off when i wanted to do it. 90cm isn't small. when we had to do the 1m course we were concerned about if we had a jump off situation because then it would have been 1m5cm :eek: not my cup of tea!
i'm sure you'll be fine... its good experience and if he sticks his head in the air and acts like a giraffe then so be it. don't know who will be judging but you might get a nice judge that isn't overly bothered.

Thanks everyone, you have really helped me

I am just going to go for it, if we can get a team together that is. Feeling a lot more positive about the dressage today as I schooled Tarquin today and while he wasn't a giraffe, he wasn't on the bit either. He did some lovely walk and trot work.
I did a give and retake the rein in canter across the diagonal just to see what would happen, I only gave a bit, but he didn't charge off and readily came back to trot after I retook my reins.
I am very happy with this considering I schooled him bareback and while my walk and trot are good bareback his canter is very bouncy and I find it more difficult to sit to.

The jumping is just a case of building my confidence in him up as I know that if I trust him completely and let him get on with it he will do it (as long as I maintain a steady rhythm).

*tootles off to try and get a team of under 17s together*

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, you have really helped me

I am just going to go for it, if we can get a team together that is. Feeling a lot more positive about the dressage today as I schooled Tarquin today and while he wasn't a giraffe, he wasn't on the bit either. He did some lovely walk and trot work.
I did a give and retake the rein in canter across the diagonal just to see what would happen, I only gave a bit, but he didn't charge off and readily came back to trot after I retook my reins.
I am very happy with this considering I schooled him bareback and while my walk and trot are good bareback his canter is very bouncy and I find it more difficult to sit to.

The jumping is just a case of building my confidence in him up as I know that if I trust him completely and let him get on with it he will do it (as long as I maintain a steady rhythm).

*tootles off to try and get a team of under 17s together*

Good luck for finding a team, that was always my school's problem. it made me :mad: I was always so keen but either couldn't get a horse to ride, couldn't get transport or couldn't get a team so GOOD LUCK :)

For building confidence, try working your way up to past 90cm so you go into the arena thinking, i've jumped bigger than this so this is easy. At least you have a month to practise. my friend and i had two weeks, you prepared person - intelligent:)

Oh there are people. i think Im going to hae to convince a girl who could enter the under 12s to move up as she is better than me and has a better pony (she has also been riding for longer).
My sister wouldn't mind joining the under 17s, but our pony Ruby can't cope with the height so we have to find horse she can ride (might have to hire one from YOs riding school lot)

newrider.com