Whats the earliest!!??

My old girl had her first one for this year a few weeks back. I didn't realise it at the time, but I reckon it was probably the cause of her over-exuburant behaviour (if you want to know what I'm on about, see my previous posts!)

The barn where I board/train breeds American Saddlebreds for show, so some mares start getting teased as early as the last part of February. However, in January the stud got out of his stall and started sniffing around some of the open mares' stalls, and to all our suprise 2 of them were already coming in season ! Weird, especially since there were several inches of snow on the ground outside.

not at all unreasonable nat. i don;t know where you are in the uk, but we've had a few days of unseasonably warm weather - i was teaching in just a t-shirt last week! and that is often enough to kick start their hormones.
the presence of a stallion can also trigger a season; which is why you might start teasing before you've seen a season.

Thanks everyone, i was thinking maybe it was too early but she has been extra sensitive and a bit spooky and the other signs were pointing towards a season but i thought it was too early. Must be the warm weather like Es says, sunday here was lovely and she has been losing her coat like mad, you can just pull it out in handfuls. She has been out with out rug and if it has been wet she has a lightweight on.

Spring is on the way!!!!!!!!! Only 4 weeks till the clocks go back and i can start to ride in the week after work at last :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

newrider.com