Whats the Smallest?

Disenchanted

Feb 19, 2009
Whats size/whats the smallest?

I know this has been asked a million times, and i've looked through some previous posts but haven't found exactly what i'm looking for. :rolleyes:

I'm 5ft4 and around 11.3stone (156lbs approx) and i'm looking at part loaning/sharing.

I was wondering what the smallest i could comfortably get away with would be, as i prefer riding smaller horses/ponies since losing my confidence on bigger horses a few months back.

I've read some previous posts about the size of the rider/horse and the ones that i've looked at have been taller people, it's not so much my height but my weight that bothers me when i ride ponies.

So i wanted to see what people think before I look at something that will be too small and end up wasting peoples time. :D

If anyone can help thanks

x

Last edited:
it depends a lot on the type of pony, how fit they are, how experienced a rider you are (novices tend to sit heavier than more experienced riders as they havent learnt to support there own weight yet, or to have an independant seat etc) how old they are.

I'm the same height as you and only a pound or two lighter and my boys 13.2hh welshie x. I'd rather be lighter for him as I think he'd find it easier, not that he finds it hard to carry me at all,(the most he carried was 15st. not with me but in his old home, his old owners dad used to occasionally warm him up for her, personally I'd never put more than 11st on him) but I just think it would be better for his old man bones! But I like food too much!

it's a pony by pony thing! You really have to see them to be able to judge what they would be able to carry.

newrider.com