What's the strangest things you have taken on a hack?

newforest

Keep it simple
Mar 15, 2008
A field
Off the top of my head.

Pruners
So I can lead through the track slightly easier, council no longer clear.

Tape measure
To measure the gate I have my eye on but I think it's a tad narrow to pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trewsers

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
A small pink cloth rabbit. He is my good luck charm and often I used to slot him in under the front of the saddle. Ears poking out forwards of course:D
Other than that, I have in my paranoid and deeply nervous nelly nature been known to take a leadrope tied around my waist scarecrow style:oops:and a hoof pick, mobile phone and pack of mints. Yeah and all of that just to hack two miles:oops::oops::p

newforest

Keep it simple
Mar 15, 2008
A field
Other than that, I have in my paranoid and deeply nervous nelly nature been known to take a leadrope tied around my waist scarecrow style:oops:and a hoof pick, mobile phone and pack of mints. Yeah and all of that just to hack two miles:oops::oops::p
She wears saddle bags all year. Probably take off for a lesson or jumping.
This time of year I carry water every ride, regardless of distance.

domane

Gracie's mum
Jul 31, 2005
I didn't take it but I did pick a metallic pink helium balloon out of a hedge when Albi was young. I waved it around and bomped him all over with it as we mooched along. I think I even tied it onto a D-ring for a while.

mystiquemalaika

Jan 7, 2013
Blue antibiotic spray, a syringe with anti biotic in it, sheep feet trimmers, sheep wormer and fly strike spray (forget the correct name!) And the drench to use it with,Castrating rings, iodine and lamb boost (again forget the name!) All rammed into pockets,socks, tied to saddle with baling twine etc because numpty me forgot to drop it all off out the car before heading away to a different location on the farm and tacking up :rolleyes: Jack is a star and to be fair I could have put the sheep over the front of the saddle as well and he wouldn't have minded a bit :p

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Secateurs, like you for improving access on some paths (the easiest way to get the height is to do it on horseback :p) and a carrier/party bag (well 3 because my friends horses wouldn't take them) after a pleasure ride we hacked to :)

I guess all my camping gear isn't the most normal either, including a saw (gigli wire), tent and stove...... Oh and the kitchen sink ;)

newforest

Keep it simple
Mar 15, 2008
A field
I find she's really helpful for the higher bits. She auto stops if I grab some, she's expecting it to snap off and head into her mouth.
Planning on pruning tomorrow as I think it could be too hot to go far, and we will have shade.

Reactions: Jessey

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Half a dozen free range eggs and a pot of double cream - I had promised those indoors I would make a fresh cream cake when i got back from my ride. Decided it would save time to pop into the local farm shop on my hack, buy the missing ingredients and hack home with them. Stuck both items inside my jacket and surprisingly 5 miles later both items undamaged and ready for a bake off! :p

Can you imagine if I had had an unplanned dismount ......bleeding cream and egg yolks would have had the paramedics baffled! :eek::D

newforest

Keep it simple
Mar 15, 2008
A field
Half a dozen free range eggs and a pot of double cream - I had promised those indoors I would make a fresh cream cake when i got back from my ride. Decided it would save time to pop into the local farm shop on my hack, buy the missing ingredients and hack home with them. Stuck both items inside my jacket and surprisingly 5 miles later both items undamaged and ready for a bake off! :p

Can you imagine if I had had an unplanned dismount ......bleeding cream and egg yolks would have had the paramedics baffled! :eek::D
I used to take a few bags to collect the apples that get left out.
On one hack I found a " lovely homeless road cone" so I went back with a bigger bag. :D