What's This Lump?

ameliet1971

This lump has appeared just under the top of Deacon Blue's front leg, it's not painful and it moves around easily. I've got an idea what it may be, but would appreciate other's thoughts on what they think it is.

lump1002.jpg

Taken at a different angle.....

lump1003.jpg

No rude comments please. :eek::D

I think ab abcess would have heat in it....I'd guess a Haematoma?, my mare had a HUGE one from her udder to her hock (almost) I think she cracked or tore something....she's now retired as still slightly lame. It took a week for the swelling to gradually go down.

is it a gelding or a mare?

My friend's gelding had a lump like that in the exact same place, the vets thought there had been complications while he was being gelded and i think she said they'd either tied the tubes, or not tied them properly,he had to go in for an op to sort it:)

It looks like a Shoeboil.

For some reason when a horse gets up it can step on itself, creating that boil. They come and go. I worked with a little mare last year that had one the size of a grapefruit.

They generally go away if you fix whatever is causing the horse to get up in that manner (if that's what it is).

Thanks everyone for all your input, your thoughts are much appreciated. :)

The swelling (more like a loose sack) contains a small amount of fluid that's surrounding a moveable, marble sized lump. If the lump hadn't been there, I would have thought the same as Ellasma, Denbenj and Clava...an Haematoma.

NoviceNic, I don't think it could be an abcess because there's no pain and it isn't a solid swelling.

Shian89, Deacon Blue is a gelding, but the swelling is under the top of his front leg and he was gelded a number of years ago. :)

Spoof, I've learned something new today, I'd never heard of a shoe boil before starting this thread.:) However, I don't think the swelling could be due to this, mainly because of where it's situated.

With the added description of the swelling, have you any other thoughts of what it might be?

Last edited:
my mare has that in her udder, a marble shape thing with liquid around and moveable!! I would like to know too.
the vets told me its nothing to worry about, i'm still worried!!!!

newrider.com