When can a novice think about becoming a sharer

grey_lady

Nov 3, 2008
Hi,

Wasnt sure if i should post this in the new or mature riders section? as Im both :)

I've recently returned to riding as an adult - the last time i rode was over 20 years ago. After lots of research (on here) I found a great local riding school where i feel very safe and confident and Im really enjoying my lessons.
I've only had a few so far but Im happy with walk, trot and canter although my control around corners with canter can be pretty bad, but at one lesson a week its going to take a while to get some riding experience built up and erm hopefully improve.

Eventually i want to get my own horse, but being sensible that's probably going to take two or three years. In the meantime id like to somehow aim? towards sharing, or I could spend three 3 years getting lessons before getting my own horse but have no groundwork or stable management experience - probably not a good plan!

So a share seems ideal but i cant help thinking why would anyone want to have a novice sharer? surely on the owners part it may mean risking me doing something wrong and also I wouldnt feel confident / competent without training or mentoring and someone experienced being on hand.

It has been years since I tacked up or mucked out or brought in etc and the last thing I want to do is ruin my confidence by trying to take on to much to soon.

So, if anyone is still with me :) should I wait until I've had a few more months of lessons before thinking about sharing? or should I try and do a course of some kind? ask my riding instructor her opinion? or just approach anyone advertising for a sharer locally and explain my situation and see what they say.

Thanks for any responses :)

I was a novice sharer and in a similar situation than you. I learnt alot. Make sure you go to a far with lots of people around to help and advise you though.

Hi Grey Lady,

Sounds like a share would be perfect, but in general I think they are hard to find, regardless of ability. It sounds like you probably have more experience that you think, and much of it will come back to you very quickly.

I had lessons as a teenager (30 yrs ago), worked at the yard mucking out and occassionally had the opportunity to tac-up. I went back to riding a few months ago - weekly private lessons. I too did this with the aim of buying to share with my daugther (almost 12 -lessons for 3 yrs +).

I looked at doing the BHS stage 1, which sounds fantastic and takes 3 hours one evening/week for around 5 months. Each wk includes an hours riding, the rest is theory and practical management..... Unfortunately, my work committments became to heavy for a whil and I couldnt do it. So I increased my private lesson to 1 hour per week and we made the first 15/20 minutes about grooming, rugs, main pulling, tackin-up etc. Was really useful.

3 wks ago I bought Ed - you can see pics in my profile. It has been rather daunting, but I have learned so much in those three weeks. Think I have now tacked up 20 times (it's not smooth, but we're getting there). I have groomed him most days an I have hacke-out (usually with competent friends) at least 3 or 4 times per week. My duaghter and I both ride him in the menage every few days and she has a weekly lesson on him.........

Definitely think BHS stage 1, or private instruction is the way forward. If you already walk, trot, canter I really dont see why it should take years?? I have found a pony who is capable, but very calm and sensible.....

Good luck

If my pony was suitable for novices (to ride, he's easy to handle), you being a novice wouldn't put me off sharing with you.

Provided the horse is based at a yard where there's always going to be someone competent around who can offer advice/support when you need it, you should be ok. A lot of owners would probably be more than happy to supervise/mentor you the first few weeks, to ensure you are happy and confident with all the tasks involved, and that you are getting on ok with their horse. Are there liveries at your riding school? If one of them was suitable and a possibility, that might be ideal, as you'd then be able to get help from your instructor and there would always be someone around you could turn to for advice.

If your RS runs any courses, they'd be a good thing to go on. And speak to your RI, so she knows what you're aiming towards. She may hear of something suitable for you that you wouldn't have heard of otherwise. And if you can afford a few private lessons, maybe on the lunge, that would speed up your improvement a bit. Does the RS run any sort of sharing scheme with their horses? I think some schools do, so if yours does that could work well.

Hope you find something suitable :)

If you were near me I'd happily let you play with our horses. I'm not sure I'd take on a 'share' (because I don't need one!) but you being a novice owner wouldn't trouble me as long as I felt you'd ask for help, and wouldn't go at stuff all 'gung ho' and wrong.

But certainly if you approached me and said you wanted to gain experience and have the odd ride in exchange for some good hard labour I'd probably hug you - we have three horses and never enough hours in the day.

So I would ask about - if you don't want to formally share as a pre-share experience gathering exercise you could just offer your services in exchange for education and the odd ride - to be honest the riding part you can learn at a school, it's everything else that is so hard I found to access.

I'd put some signs up in tack shops and feed mills offering labour in exchange for support and information preferably with some riding thrown in and see if anyone calls you - and ask everyone you know if they know anyone who'd 'mentor' you.

Like I say, I'd happily do that, but I would want to know someone I undertook a formal share with was capable. But if you get someone to 'mentor' you then you'll know when you are ready to share........... and that will be quicker.

I have to confess here though that a year ago I hadn't had horses, or ridden for 20+ years - my girls had had about 6 months worth of weekly lessons and my step son had never ridden.

This year we have three horses, and my step son and daughter are doing Parelli with one and riding two - jumping in ways that terrify me, and happily hacking about the countryside............... in fact on Sunday if she can persuade anyone else from the yard to go my 14 year old daughter is intending to hack to a local show and jump her mare for the first time.

It's a steep learning curve, and you need support, and a good instructor, but don't be put off by people who say you have to ride once a week for 10 years before you should be allowed out of the school and then you should serve your apprenticeship as a sharer for another 10. You go at your own pace.

However, (I waffle!) I'd 'mentor' you - so others would I'm sure - that way you get to be around a yard, meet all sorts of different horses, learn everything involved on the ground, and hopefully top up your riding lessons too.......

I was in a similar situation, except that I started from scratch at 40! Having not ridden before, I had lessons for 18 months, in which time I got confident with w/t/c, did some jumping, and learned some lateral work. I then discovered the 'mentoring' thread on here:
http://www.newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112591&highlight=mentoring (it's very long, so start at the end and work forwards!)

I found a wonderful local mentor, who taught me to groom, tack up, muck out, tie a haynet etc, and who gave me the confidence to look for a share. I have now been sharing 8 months, and it is fab! I am still learning all the time, but the YM is usually on hand for immediate help, and you wonderful NR's provide all the help I could possibly need :D.

So I suggest you look for a mentor, maybe put a request in your signature so that it appears on all your posts, and keep your eyes open for a share. Good luck!

I was in a similar situation - returned to riding after 30 odd years. I only had a few lessons when I stumbled across an opportunity for a full loan which was too good to miss. My horse is at an excellent livery who give me loads of advice and support and I'm continuing my lessons twice a week with the yard owner. Yes, its been a baptism of fire - but you will be surprised by how much you know. Also, get a good book - my YO recommended the BHS Complete manual of Horse and Stable Management and it is excellent - and I also read all the horse magazines avidly, as well as all the support and advice on this forum.

I have now had Muffin 7 weeks and things are going great. A lot of this is down to his patience - he is an older horse (18 years old) - and is the best natured horse I have ever met. He is very tolerant of my clumsiness when putting on his bridle, fly rug and mask etc. Muffins owner was not concerned that I was a novice (like the rest of the posters here) - she just wanted someone who had a lot of love to give her horse, who was sensible with him, knew when to ask for help and who had commitment. I am not a great rider, very novice and still nervous, but the rest I can give him.

Go for it grey_lady - if I can do it, anyone can. Wish you loads of luck - and let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the great advice folks, chuffed that i got so many replies.

Poppy1's idea about spending a small portion of lesson time on tacking up / grooming is a good suggestion and I'll ask about that next time Im there.

The BHS stage 1 also sounds perfect - its just if i can fit it in around commuting and work, will have to see if there's anywhere running it that I can get to.

Sadly my riding school doesnt have a loan scheme - its primarily a competition centre, but I think they have actually run riding tests and stable management courses in the past though, so I guess it's also worth asking if they intend to again the future.

You've all given me things to ask about when looking for a share as well, such as being on a yard with others around to ask questions, having the owner mentor / supervise me for a while, looking for someone with a patient horse known to be easy-going to ride / handle.

So I plan to talk to my instructor next week and find out more about the BHS stage 1 course. Will also take a look on Amazon for that manual on horse and stable management, i've just starting reading one of Kelly Mark's books which is quite interesting.

There is also... someone who has been advertising locally for a sharer well actually a part loan (guess that's the same thing?) the ad say's the owner has 3 horses to part loan / share so I may drop her an email and see if she thinks I may be suitable.

Thanks again for the advice folks.

You'll be fine - I still twiddle headcollars (the horses are just too tall!) - and have to stop and sort them out. I console myself with the fact that the horses are very forgiving.

i got back to riding after a 14yr break and i was offered my share before i even had my first lesson!
after 3 lessons i started sharing. I didnt ride her at first, just went up, learnt to muck out, groom, rug ect. after 3-4 months i gave up my RS lessons and started having lessons on her. A few months of this and i then started hacking out, a while after i was hacking alone.

If you can find a horse good for novice riders then there is no reason you cant start sharing now!

Well if you were down my way, I would happily let you play about with my horse. I'd be around to supervise and show you how to do things if you didnt know, and in return have a ride. :)

Inspiring replies, Tally that really does give me hope that it wont take years before im experienced enough at riding for anyone to want to take me on as a sharer. Ruskii that's very kind of you - I dont suppose your local to Thurrock? :)

Thanks again everyone, I've found a place here in Essex that does the BHS stage 1 riding and horse care it's one night a week for 9 weeks starting in July and I can just about get there after work as long as the trains run on time - hhmm where to get changed, on the train or in the car :eek:

If all goes well with the course (assuming there's still spaces on it) I'll try and find a share after it finishes. Think i'll be a bit more confident then as well. I've also ordered the manual that Alisonq suggested from Amazon, sounds very useful.

Very excited now!

Hello

I was in a similar situation to you. I had a 10 year gap in riding then started again just over a year ago. I wanted a share as soon as I started riding again but always thought that I wasnt good enough and nobody will let me ride their horse!. I finally took the plunge and found a horse to share 4 weeks ago ( he's turning out to be a right pig of a horse though)but was scared even then as I hadnt even tacked up in over 10years. I told the owner my past experience and she was more than happy for me to share him. I think most owners just want somebody who is kind and will treat the horse well, not necessarily the most experienced rider in the world ( which I am certainly not). As long as you find a suitable, sensible horse ( there are a lot of nutty horses around) then you just need to bite the bullet and go for it if thats what you want. It took me about 2 hours to do his bed for the first time ( lol ) but you dont forget really - It'll all come back to you and you'll just get more and more confident as I did. :D

A course sounds like a great idea!
Let us know how it goes.
x

I thought about this today (I REALLY should get out more!) - I wouldn't want someone to share who thought they were the bees knees anyway - because their ideas may not be the same as mine and they wouldn't want to do things my way............ as an owner I'd rather have a keen as mustard novice........

Ruskii that's very kind of you - I dont suppose your local to Thurrock? :)

Where's that ? :D As I'm guessing I've never heard of it before and you've mentioned Essex, then no I'm not near you. (I'm near Southampton) Shame but you'll find a share horse with no problems I wouldnt have thought :)

I thought about this today (I REALLY should get out more!) - I wouldn't want someone to share who thought they were the bees knees anyway - because their ideas may not be the same as mine and they wouldn't want to do things my way............ as an owner I'd rather have a keen as mustard novice........

Agree with that 100%

Grey lady, good luck if you decide to do the course, I might do something like that myself one day ....

Keep us updated on your hunt for a share ;) :D

Ruskii that's very kind of you - I dont suppose your local to Thurrock?
I am though (well about 20 mins drive), so if you'd like to spend some time playing with Sen, you'd be very welcome. I'm bathing him this afternoon in fact, so PM me if you'd like to come over some time.

I've mentored a couple of people from NR. One now has her own horse, and the other has become a firm friend, who still comes over two years down the line, so I'm not a murderer.:)

Last edited:
Hi Cazrider, Thank-you very much for the offer, Ive sadly got plans for this afternoon boring non horsey related stuff :-(
but will pm later and find out more about where you are if that's ok.

The center that I emailed running the BHS stage 1 evening course in July / August have confirmed that they still have spaces! so I'll hopefully get booked in just as soon as i can get through to them on the phone.

Looked at the syllabus yesterday and Im already nervous at the thought of the tests at the end of it! not only remembering the theory answers, but having my riding examined - eek! luckily it doesnt specify that the trotting without stirrups has to be in any way elegant - Im sure it will be more nerve wracking than my driving test ever was :)

Hi grey_lady, just read your post and feel like I'm in a similar position. Been riding on and off for about 10 years, but because of being in RS I don't have much groundwork experience (I can tack up, quick brush over, put rugs on...oh and put a feed bucket into a horse's stable, but other than that I have a lot to learn. I too am hoping to find a share where someone will take me under their wing and show me the ropes and have shared your worries about not being very experienced putting people off who are looking for a sharer. I'd like to think that so long as people believed that you aren't the kind of person who won't pipe up and ask how to do something and just try and do it anyway, that not having much experience wouldn't be a problem. Fingers crossed for you and your search.

Oh and whereabouts in Thurrock do you ride? You can PM me if you'd rather not post on here. I am currently riding in Thurrock too :)

The exams are fine - Ridng is about being able to ride your trusty steed away from the group, to be able to stop, walk, trot and canter and to go over trot poles in a forward/light seat. You swap steeds half way through to - but they are (or should be) well schooled riding horses/ponies.

Ground work is about being safe and understanding the principles - not being a senior groom or yard manager.

newrider.com