When Cooper met Clicker

Brilliant photos and vids Dee- you are obviously having loads of fun with this:D

Will be interesting to see how you apply it to ridden work in the future.

Dee, that's just great! He really caught on quickly and seemed to stop the 'eating of the cones' behaviour when he saw he got rewarded from just touching it! :D

I did this a good few years ago (as clicker training had just started 'hitting the headlines' and I was having problems with the pone) with CW cos he used to be awful at gates, so in the stable i taught him to nudge with his nose. Worked a treat as I was able to transfer it to our rides, so he now opens and closes gates with his nose! it's his trick which he likes to show off! :D

Even though he already knows about the gate thing, these vids have inspired me to do other things with him to make groundwork more fun, so many thanks for reintroducing me to it (in visual terms ;) )

That's brilliant Dee :)

As you know we've been doing clicker with Saff for a few months now and she loves it :) She's even dragging us off to the school now whereas she wasn't that bothered or even downright reluctant before :D She even started to go round by herself the other day when we untied her and neither of us had hold of her :rolleyes:

We use it for groundwork, inhand, lunging, longlining and under saddle. She's so much more positive about things and actually seems a lot happier in her work.

E has had a lesson with Becky on the clicker and really, really enjoyed it. It may be worth taking a trip down to see her at some point :)

Well done, I can't see the piccies until Wednesday but I'm definitely looking forward to having a look x

Brilliant pics and vids Dee - I think the thing I love most about your updates is that it always looks like *both* of you are smiling in them! It's very aspirational for me (with my impatient and easily discouraged tendencies!!) to keep aiming for that feel while I work with Merrick.

I think a set of cones may be something I'll look at getting now. It certainly seems to make a clear, easily identified target which could be a big help for Merrick.

(I have no speakers at the mo so have to ask) do you use a "Touch!" command with Coops, or just your body language and/or his natural curiosity to get a nudge on the target/cones? If you use the command, how long did it take to introduce it? Do you think there'll be any struggle transferring the command to other objects? This is the bit where I'm getting me and Merrick all tied up in knots :p so would love to hear any tips!

Thanks for the update :)

Excellent progress Dee!! In fact him picking up the cones is another behaviour so YAY Cooper.... so clever.

It's hard videoing and clicking at the same time isn't it! :D

I just tell people I am clicker training - they don't tend to ask any more questions after that - but just stand and stare :rolleyes:

I was teaching Garbo to play soccer with the Swiss Ball yesterday..... ;)

that looks fun.

can i ask was the cone work the first day you started with the clicker or did you just start with the bottle and get that down, then do cones another day?

I think i might do soem clicker with kaiser.

S'funny, no one else at the yard does this and when people ask me why I am doing it I still find it hard to give them an intelligent answer despite having read the book from back to front.

You answered other people's question's in your earlier post...Quote Dee " Cause its fun and a great relationship builder with your horse". :D

It is fun and it is another way to be with your horse rather than making it sweat under a saddle......:D

As for TOUCH, I use it and find Captain really gets to grips with the command really well.

I can see your next post...."Cooper touches every traffic cone out on hacks"......:D

Dee you have inspired me :eek:
Just got back from Merrick. Instead of "working" outside his stable and getting frustrated with what we should or shouldn't be progressing like, we went back to the basic target and no voice command. Round the yard, round the school, sometimes touching it close to the ground, sometimes doing a "carrot stretch", sometimes just following and stopping. He enjoyed himself and so did I!

Great videos W'ejit, he's such a clever horse:D. I'm really inspired by the posts around at the moment to give it a go - might get the book and see how I go...:)

Oh wow, that's fantastic! :D
Fantastic to watch && read up on aswell!
I must admit, I am interested in starting clicker training with Red because I want to...like you...use it to re-introduce loading to him as it's a major problem of his.
Am interested to hear how it goes with May :)

newrider.com