When did you learn jumping?

It's a bit different for more mature riders. Most children/teens enjoy learning to jump and are keen to do it. Adults have a choice.They may or may not fancy it. It's not required if you don't want. When I do ride (I am an RS rider) I jump occasionally, just little cross poles and the odd tiny fence or two in the field. I can jump, and used to do little bits of XC and the occasional course of small SJ.

Skib -my thoughts are that it's a useful thing to learn the feeling of. People stress about jumping, but when dealing with small obstacles it's not taxing.It's simply only maintaining centre of balance and small movements with hands and torso. Youngsters tend to overdo - flinging their hands and body up the horses neck as if doing puissance. I do fast hack canters on a small Fell mare who jumps the small dips in the uphill track we ride on. I just stay in forward seat, and do nothing - other than being soft with my hands.

It's not a big issue really. I can recall you being worried about cantering round corners in the school at one time. Now you have moved on. Maybe trying a simple cross pole on the school would be worth thinking about. Not because you want to jump, but simply so you know how to

Personally though I don't jump routinely I am glad I know what it feels like, what to expect and how to manage it if it happens. You never know what may happen and horses are not always predictable. It can avoid being caught out or frightened if you find yourself jumping for whatever reason.

I have to say the urge to jump has completely gone for me now - I wouldn't even want to jump a cross pole - I think when you are older for me anyway falling off is always in the back of my mind somewhere:(

I still haven't jumped - just noticed my post and thought if comment. I'm still having 2 lessons a week with my share and still really getting to grips with canter so jumping has taken a back seat. I'm not even sure I want to jump. We went on a hack and horse infront jumped over a small branch and we kind of jumped over it but was the smallest jump ever!

I went on a beach hack in August on holiday and got thrown off (my first fall) so I've been a bit cautious since - especially as I have a health condition that could be made lot worse by a fall. Thankfully escaped injury landing on sand and falling off a tiny horse!

I've wondered this - I'm keen to try it but also sort of terrified. I'm so scared that the horse will just STOP (probably because of a signal I give) right before a jump and i'll fly out of the saddle, or that i'll fall off, hit poles and get hurt. :/

If you don't want to jump, don't. It's not the be all and end all. It's not for everyone, and as long as you understand the concept so if faced with something like a log out hacking, you can get over it without a problem, you'll be fine.

Besides, if you're still working on your canter seat, and getting to grips with canter, it's not the time to be jumping imo. Some people may rush you into jumping sooner, but solidify your seat first and you might find jumping a little less scary.

Reactions: AliciaA
starting on a new big horse and tried some jumping yesterday - apparently cause he is so big - i'll have to make the jumps a bit bigger... its too easy for him and he walks over... LOL - it will take some practice but trying and growing!

newrider.com