When do you put your medium weights on?

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Are you still using lw rugs at the moment or maybe they are already wearing them?

Mine is still in his no fill most the time with a fleece under some nights as a bit chillier. Tomorrow night is ment to be 5 degrees though so think I may put him in a medium, no neck.

Mine has a chace clip. I always think I've under or over rugged lol. Wish I had more rugs so could put him in a 50g or something now

Mine still doesn't have a rug on at all!:giggle: I highly doubt she'll even get a mediumweight on this year... 75g if she is lucky!

Both boys have full clips now so they are in 200g rugs. They have no shelter and are quite exposed.

When I bring them in they are warm but not hot

Mine are bib clipped and were in medium to light standard necks sept and from mid oct when temp dropped in medium combos then when temp drops again will be in heavyweights.

The racers are in rugs with duvets underneath at night if clipped.

I haven't clipped Rosie yet so far this year (did it end September last year) but even if I had (a high trace) I still would not be rugging at all. Its been windy but is actually still quite mild.

when/if they need it :) angel's already in hers but she's old and drops a lot of weight in winter (not that it's 'winter' yet!). MIght get Appley's out when she's been re-clipped.

My horse has a blanket clip which is half grown out now (is 4 weeks old). He is out naked and will stay naked all winter - unless he drops too much weight which is seriously unlikely!! He just doesn't need to be rugged.

Ziggy is naked. Mattie has had a medium weight with a neck on for a couple of the cold wet blowy nights recently, otherwise he is just wearing his raincoat.

We've only had the lightweights out for a couple of weeks, for the clipped stabled horses - the unclipped ones are still naked in the day and just have a fleece on at night if they got wet in the paddock. Field kept horses are naked as usual and getting nice and fluffy! Mouse is over the moon at having his fly rug off at last and is absolutely filthy :giggle:

Yep mine are still naked too :)

Piggy will stay naked, she will only have a rug if she drops too much weight but she's doing pretty well at the moment :)

Ours are without rug and most likely will stay that way. Neither are clipped and both are good doers. They come in at night and when it's wretched and wet they come in for a few hours during the day. Storm hated rugs with a passion and will take your arm off should you be foolish enough to try and make her wear one!
In extreme cold rain spells - Chloe will wear a very lightweight rug that was Joe's - but she would prefer to come in and get dry than stand out - we have no shelter in their winter field.

Minnie is 25 and a skinny minnie so has had her medium weight on for 2 weeks now. I need to keep her warm so she does not use food to do it as she needs some weight on her...she is suitably miffed about it.

My 2 year old and Sam are both naked and will be all winter regardless of weather, they have a 24x12 shelter that they do not use! :happy:

It's getting below zero over night now where we are and Kev is blanket clipped, so I have put his 100g on. When it drops a couple he will get his neck on, and when it drops again I will put his medium weight on.

We get pretty harsh wether up here, and my plan is to use his heavy weight only for blizzard conditions, so I don't want to put his medium weight on until he really needs it, since that will be him for the rest of winter!

Flicks is not clipped. She had a medium weight on overnight for a couple of nights earlier this week when temperature dipped, but I got there on Wednesday night to find her really hot and sweaty in it. After an initial panic that she was dying (novice sharer :redface:) I put her back in a summer sheet and she was fine!

Mine still doesn't have a rug on at all!:giggle: I highly doubt she'll even get a mediumweight on this year... 75g if she is lucky!

Same here and if I can help it she won't see a rain sheet either. She is bib clipped and not looking too bad weight wise.

Eta-it also depends on your location and grazing, mine is still out in the cliff field, its twenty acres. Hay won't be seen for months yet.

Last edited:
My three live out 24/7 and two don't wear any rugs at all but one does, only because he's a bit of a wuss. But, he doesn't wear such a thick one as he did when he first arrived and I haven't put it on him yet. Will not rug him until December if possible. They have a field shelter so can get out of the weather and off the mud if they want and there's plenty of natural shelter. Of course, all horses differ in their needs.

newrider.com