When is everyone bringing their horses in for the winter?

nicolawx

Legends Never Die
Aug 7, 2008
Wiltshire
www.youtube.com
Questions in the title really :)
so i was just thinking about when it's best to bring my loan horse in from the field for winter, as the weather hasn't really been the best this summer.
When is everyone else stabling overnight?

i am not and i am so excited about it, i am wintering them all out on good grass with a good rug on them,

i have been diagnosed with arthritis in my neck and can not manage the mucking out in the winter it hurts too much

You are lucky in some cases then, no mucking out just gives you all the time to do things with your horses, i wish i had that luxury. I have a hardy welsh but he will be stabled overnight, so it means mucking out unfortuntely, even though i sometimes enjoy giving him a big bed [:

I have my boy kept with a friends couple of horses, and we were talking today about leaving them out until end of October, and then playing it by ear and watching the weather reports.

In some ways I think I would prefer a field shelter, so they can be in and out as they want. :)

I AM DREADING THEM COMING IN:eek:

I am really really hoping we get a late 'SUMMER', we certainly didn't have an early one:eek:

I just have this awful feeling that if it stays really wet and with the state of the ground they will be coming in by middle/end of October, ONE LONG WINTER.

Never.
They're all staying out, foal, thoroughbred and all. Mare will need rugging this winter as the foal has been a real drain on her, and Odie will need a light rug and then a heavier one when he's clipped but thats not for ages yet.

Yes all horses on my livery yard have to be brought in over winter. In fact Ofeigur is in over night now because of the grass, he loves coming in anyway.

He's on equimats and Nedz Bedz which is great for mucking out so can't complain about that I just hope its a dry winter.

blimey all the moaning about mucking out, my horses come in every night, all year round and always have done! I have mucked out 2 horses every day for the last 27 years....

mine are swapping from summer routien (in during day and out at night) to winter routien (in at night and out during day) this weekend. Our weather hasn't been bad at all but it is definately getting chillier at nights and now the sun and flies aren't so much of an issue we are back to winter routien. I stable mine on aubiose, skip out 6 days out of 7 then just one dig out (usually on a weekend when i've most time) per week. brilliant bedding :D

Ronnie should be living out 24/7 but due to her injury I cant risk it getting wet as it needs to stay dry and clean to heal so she will be coming in in bad weather (I am going up in a min to get her in)

:)Everyones are in at the farm where i keep mine,and my 2 are Fell ponies,but the weather is vile our horses have to come in at night through the winter anyway,so it wouldnt have being long before they had to come in.:)

Mine come in every day for a few hours anyway, I normally keep that routine up until just after Christmas and then have them in 12/24. Depends on how hungry they get and how well they're keeping.

well our two are in now, TB has another abscess, she seems what with one thing and another to not have spent too long out the summer anyway. The Welshie is in to keep her company but it doesnt hurt to keep him off the grass, he had mild lami earlier in the year. They have a yard to walk on though so it's not as bad as being stuck in a box.
Last year we started bringing them in for the night around end November, but I guess it depends on how wet it is going to be and for how long. We try and leave them out during the day all winter as far as possible (if the farmer allows it)

mine are in at night already. as during night if they stay out there in a muddy orchard with hay, and i feel so tight just leaving them out in wet mud lol with very little shelter

I have semi started my winter routine.mine live out but have a designated winter area with big shelters.at the mo they are out 9 ish till 3ish then in the winter area with a couple of slices of hay.This is also due to bruno recovering from lammi and being muzzled...if left out longer he gets his muzzle off, as they are all a bit tubby:rolleyes:it wont harm them all to come in instead of just Bru.Mind as forecast is pants for today they are all in the winter area with hay ,to Smudges displeasure

Today! He's going to start coming in at night. He hates being out at night to be honest (been giving everyone 'the face'!), but the real reason is that the fields need to be preserved so that he can have 14 hours a day throughout the winter. It wouldn't usually be so early in the year - it's all thanks to the constant rain and non existent summer :rolleyes:

Last edited:
newrider.com