When Poohsmate met the Scots!!

Palomino Mare

Jan 22, 2007
yes the rumours in some of the threads are true, poohsmate came to meet myself, Babybear, Jenni, Cappaldubh, GreyGurlie and Lucyad this weekend.

it was an eventful day today to say the least and now i have 5 saddles for sale:eek: *ahem*

tiffany shall not be ridden for the next while and unfortunatley has been ridden is a badly fitting saddle for the last four years, explaining the rearing :( awful to think that it was a master saddler that fitted it too. i feel awful, all those times she was given into trouble for rearing and it was riding that was causing it.

jerry acted like a dope for norm, i dont think he believed that he was high maintenance to ride! fortunately 4 out of my 5 saddles (dont ask how i acquired so many:rolleyes::eek:) fitted and he fashioned a new pad for him - just about to sew it together now! when jerrys fit and muscled however they wont fit hence i've taken the decision to have a bit of a clearout to make way for saddle company saddles!

i have a couple of pics of him working with tiffany but you will have to bear with me to get them up!

once again norm thank you very very much for coming up this weekend and see you next month!

Yup, Oscar is broken - sore back and muscle wastage, from me not getting saddle re-flocked in time.:mad:. Feel terrible - poor horse. He has been as good as gold all the time that he has been in pain as well. Goodness knows how great he will be once he is all fixed! He is having a couple of weeks off while saddle is re-flocked, then I am padding it strategically in the points of wastage, hopefully they will then fill out gradually and the padding can be removed, after when the saddle will need adjusted to suit his new improved shape as well.

He was very distracted during first the treatment, mainly due to his friends galloping around the feild outside (and he hates being in during the day as well). But he calmed right down and relaxed and went to sleep at the end.

I have some exercises that I will be doing with him, and will do some long lining over the next few weeks as well. I will take weekly photos and will post some to showw how he improves.
Thanks ever so much, Norm, for coming all this way and helping us all out. it is very much appreciated.

now i have 5 saddles for sale

Coincidentally, I may be in the market for a new saddle, perhaps we should talk ;)

I had a stern talk with Jackson this evening, and explained that he needed to tell me in words of no more than three syllables when he is feeling sore. No more grin and bear it :D He had had a big roll and was completely coated in mud - is this a normal side effect of Bowen? I might have to invest in a new grooming kit...

I have been looking back at the blog, and Jackson was only ridden with the saddle since 18th August, so only 4 months to get all ouchy :eek:

Seconding your thanks to Norman for coming up and sorting us all out (and braving the Scottish weather - after this afternoon, I am sorely tempted to move me and Jackson to a warmer climate (OH can come too if he insists :p)).

And also thanks to Lucyad who is indeed an excellent cook :D

I would also like to say a huge thanks to Norm for coming to my yard.

He checked Casper and 4 other horses - unfortunately only 1 of the horses had a fitting saddle! So everyone is selling their old saddles and buying new ones!

Luckily Casper has the all clear for his back - a little bit sore towards his bum but nothing that is caused by saddle. His saddle is much too narrow - which when Norm pointed it out it confirmed my own concerns - it's nice to have it explained! Anyone looking for a 17" VSD leather saddle?:D

All the horses loved the Bowen treatment - they all went to sleep and a couple of them must have rolling in their stables last night!!!

The most interesting thing was when Norm worked with the Y/O's agressive horse and pretty much put him into a coma!!! This horse attacks everyone - through no fault of his own - he was previously badly treated by people and has a very defensive attitude.

The Y/O was really happy to actually see this big horse being affectionate towards her for one of the first times in the 5 years she's owned him.

Everyone at the yard is raving about you and asked me to send their thanks - can't wait until your next visit!!:D

oh dear, you mean jackson hasnt learnt to talk yet:eek::D

good grief do you think ebay's server will manage with all these saddles getting sold?

technically two of mine can stay but i think selling the lot and buy two good new saddles - especially after all that tiffanys been through with hers, will be money better spent. i also cant believe how heavy my ideal saddle is and that i never noticed before!

lucy, do you need a new saddle or just reflock?

Just a re-flock just now - it's fit will be re-assessed once his back gets in better shape, hopefully adjustments will keep it an acceptable fit.

Just been down to give Oscar his tea - he is another one who needs to learn to shout a bit more! He is staying out tonight to keep him moving after the treatment - it is so mild he didnt seem to mind!

cappaldubh - kaiser was only in work for 4 months and his saddle managed to hurt him too.

Yes, big thanks to norm for coming all the way up here.:)

Hey, yup yup, again echoing big thanks to norm for suffering our horrendous scottish weather today. Think we had a force 10 hurricane/tropical storm going on this morning on his arrival.
My saddle needs a total reflock and also widened a touch at the front to stop it tipping back, but isnt a total lost cause.:eek: Other than that he said it fits her not too badly and once it is corrected will stop me tipping forward putting my weight in the wrong place. Oh and I have to purchase a new girth aswell instead of my nasty one sided elastic one!! :( She has a little muscle wastage along her back under where her saddle sits and was quite tight behind her saddle and across her back. :( More ground work exercises to help her stretch out and some freeschooling and long reigning too.
She was quite chilled after this morning but will see how she is tomoro and report the difference!! :D

HUGE thanks again Norm for your time and hope you made it home safely.. :D

Last edited:
Pity I missed him as I have to work weekends :(

Palamino Mare - lots of saddlers will do you a trade in for all those saddles you have - just think, you might be able to get an uber expensive one too:D

hello, made it back ok despite the weather...it never stopped raining all the way back 6 hours of it :eek::eek:
Really enjoyable weekend, and great to meet you all and your smashing horses..:):)
Big thanks to Lucyad for lunch yesterday, the carrot soup was delicious!!!!.. and jenni for the rolls on sat' morning:D:D
Looking forward to seeing you all again soon...:)

Could we be saying that the saddle fitters in the area are not actually fitting saddles correctly?!?

If you don't mind me asking, who is the master saddler you are referring to? (probs best to pm me) Thanks :)

Sounds like it was well worth the trip and the horses thoroughly enjoyed it :)

If you don't mind me asking, who is the master saddler you are referring to? (probs best to pm me) Thanks :)

I'd be curious to find out too, as I've has problems with a saddle fitter in the past - I'm in the east though, so more than likely not the same person...

Could we be saying that the saddle fitters in the area are not actually fitting saddles correctly?!?

Don't know if this can be said about all saddle fitters in the area as there was one girl on our yard with a correctly fitting saddle but it was very clear that most of the horses had ill fitting saddles and when Norm pointed it out a lot of things became very clear regarding the horses behaviour.

It's not just saddle fitters either - one of the owners had spent a lot of money getting her horses back checked to understand the reason for her bucking and also getting upset when being tacked up - she'd been given the all clear but when Norm worked with her it was obvious that the poor mare was in a lot of pain and is now being given 1 months rest from ridden work - her owner was very upset by the horses reaction expecially as she was always adamant there was an issue but osteopath etc kept telling her all was well.

I know some people may be skeptical especially as it appears that most horses need a new saddle but there was no hard sell from Norm and he did suggest alternative i.e. extending the tree.

Another intersting thing that Norm advised is that many saddlers will fit the saddle to horse based on their shape on the day and will not take into account muscle wastage etc.

2 of the girls who now need a new saddle have been advised to give their horses a month of only ground work to help their back lift before even considering getting a new saddle fitted.

Which osteo was that Babybear ? As there are only 2 qualified osteos in Scotland.

I am not skeptical that it appears most need a 'new saddle' i am more why is it pooh is the only person it seems in the country that is able to find the problems and help with them? The number of horses that have now been seen and the number that have had issues, that we are saying haven't been recognised until pooh does them.

Why do we then spend money on saddle fitters and osteo's etc? When really we are now assuming we are just chucking our money away?
Why do these people go and get their qualifications when they don't actually mean anything !?!?

Does all upset behaviour from horse equal a saddle problem ?

Just have lots of questions that if answer can be provided that i could have a better understanding

Last edited:
Which osteo was that Babybear ? As there are only 2 qualified osteos in Scotland.

I am not skeptical that it appears most need a 'new saddle' i am more why is it pooh is the only person it seems in the country that is able to find the problems and help with them? The number of horses that have now been seen and the number that have had issues, that we are saying haven't been recognised until pooh does them.

Why do we then spend money on saddle fitters and osteo's etc? When really we are now assuming we are just chucking our money away?
Why do these people go and get their qualifications when they don't actually mean anything !?!?

Does all upset behaviour from horse equal a saddle problem ?

Just have lots of questions that if answer can be provided that i could have a better understanding

Sorry Nookster - wasn't suggesting that it was you being skeptical. I have to say, if I had not met Norm and had him work on my horse I would have been a bit suspicious too with the issues you raised.

I don't know why these issues have been missed by other saddlers etc as this is the first time I've ever had Casper checked and had the process of fitting explained to me so I can't comment on other saddlers and the service they provide but Poohsmate may be able to clarify if it is down to a difference in training standards etc.

newrider.com