when was the last time you did something completely different?

joosie

lifelong sufferer of restless brain syndrome
Oct 28, 2004
New Zealand
Question's in the title :) A couple of my English friends (plus one boyfriend) are over here this week housesitting for a friend of the family, and yesterday they invited me to go kayaking with them on the River Orne. We hired two 2-person kayaks for the afternoon, starting at midday - they took us by road to the starting point, and from there we had until 7pm to return the kayaks to their base at Clecy. They provided water-tight barrels for our lunches etc. which strapped onto the back. I shared with my buddy Hazel who is as loopy as I am and we had a really brilliant time! Aside from talking crap all afternoon there was also a lot of laughter, mainly based on our appalling paddling skills and the various pickles we got ourselves into :p We had five weirs to go down plus some patches of rough water, we weren't very good at steering (partly because we were always laughing too hard) and spent most of the time crashing into the bank, scraping under low tree branches and coming dangerously close to tipping over. In one patch of shallow water we actually managed to ground our kayak completely, resulting in me saying to Hazel "well obviously you'll have to get out and push" ("why me?" she asked, for which I did not actually have a legitimate answer, but it's ok cos she had already got out by then.) The other two were treating it like some kind of competition and kept zooming off ahead, giving Hazel and I the opportunity to entertain ourselves even further - every time they stopped to wait for us and turned around to look, we stopped paddling and put our feet up on the sides making it quite obvious we had no intention of trying to catch up :p

The scenery in that area is absolutely stunning (it is an area known as Suisse Normande because the hills make it look a bit like Switzerland) and being out on the water in the sunshine was such a peaceful and perfect way to enjoy it. Being in such good company was just an added bonus. Unfortunately no photos from the river as I didn't want to risk taking my camera on the water (must buy a cheap compact for these situations!) so you will just have to believe me when I say it was beautiful :p It was really nice to do something different for a change, as even my day off usually involves horsey stuff. So when was the last time you did something completely different to your usual activities?12.06.jpg

Reactions: Trewsers
Looks fabulous! Just shown Mr T and he agrees. Sounds like you had a splendid time.:)
Can't really say I've tried anything different to my usual horsey activity for a long time. Maybe I should!

These days our activities are of the more leisurely kind as OH and I are getting on a bit now and OH isn't able to do anything energetic any more. This week we went on a lunch cruise on an old Thames Barge on the Medway estuary, there were 12 of us celebrating one of our friends 70th birthday. Not at all adventurous but it's only a half hour drive away and we had never been to that area before. It was just our group on the boat, all we had to do was eat lunch and sit back and enjoy the scenery. It was a lovely sunny day, and it was so quite and peaceful. Afterwards we continued our get together at a nearby pub. This day was something we had never done before and wouldn't min doing again some time. Oh dear, I can't attach pictures, it seems they are too large. Shame.

Reactions: Trewsers
Tomorrow I'm cycling from London to Brighton. But I cycle every day so guess that doesn't really count haha.

I'd love to do loads more things but too shy to do them on my own :(

Oh gosh the prettiest picnic I ever ate (I mean the situation) was in the Suisse Normande and I had forgotten about it. How lovely!

Sounds lovely!!!!

I suppose the karaoke stuff was completely different to my normal activities as I rarely go out and I definitely never sang in front of people. Now I'm doing karaoke and also getting some singing lessons!

Reactions: Trewsers and MrA
I can't remember when I last did anything that would be classed as different or adventurous - but I must say I liked the sound of the day kayaking - although I would probably expire if I tried it!:p

Actually I don't think you'd struggle too much Cortrasna, you can take it as easy as you like - my friend and I didn't exactly exert ourselves :D We did the route in about 4 1/2 hours including a half-hour stop for lunch, but the kayaks would have been ours for the whole day if we'd needed them. I am going to take my dad when I finally get him to come over for a visit, he is 66 and I wouldn't take him if I thought it would be too strenuous :D

Reactions: Cortrasna
It sounds lovely but it is the one thing I hate doing, My ex husband was an outdoor ed instructor so I spent every weekend doing something, caving, climbing, sailing,surfing, canoeing I liked them all but not kayaking or canoeing even the white water stuff.

We did do a river cruise on the thames last weekend for OH 50th birthday but I find it boring I am much more a get out and do something person.

A couple of weeks ago I did the ridge road runner a 6km x country run for charity now that I enjoyed.

I went sea kayaking in Australia, it was amazing, but very hard work! Not helped by the fact I was sharing with another skinny girl, so we got blown all over the place, the kayaks with the guys in them managed much easier. I tried loads of amazing stuff when I was over there, all on my own. The best way to do things!

Last weekend me & OH went for a beautiful cliff top walk. Not different, but it really was spectacular. A lovely, healthy way to spend an afternoon.

Sounds lovely Joosie and a lot of fun.

My different thing is just started growing tomatoes, herbs and flowers on my balcony. Sounds very tame in comparison but is kind of fun and therapeutic :D

01c07a3730ca6dccf94c1ea7df97d329cfb6e66863.jpg

newrider.com