When you have been around horses for too long

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
Saw this on another forum and thought it would be good to start it here too.

So signs you have been around horses for too long?

I think it's quite bad for me that actually I have had 2 nurses tell me on 2 different occasions if I am going to give up horses this time? Both of times I was a patient on the surgical ward at the local hospital!!

Your go, until I think of more :)

when its pouring down with rain at 2am and youre out in your pijamas changing covers so theyre nice and warm? haha :)

When you know what thatching is because you did it before all the rugs were invented.

You got excited by a new colour in jodhpurs that wasn't black or navy.
They itched!

Reactions: tikkitti and Jessey
I remember my YO talking about her mum who was poorly at the time and telling me in all seriousness that she wouldn't eat her feed.

There's a regular supply of 'packages' to our house - boots, breastplate, more boots, supplement ...

Reactions: Trewsers
Driving into a multi-storey car park I slightly overshot the ticket machine and told my car to "woah" :eek:

"Folding" over speed bumps and occasionally patting the steering wheel and saying "good girl" :p

Clicking the dog ...... AND the husband :oops:

You know you have definitely been around horses for far too long when your own kid comes home from her pony with purple spray all over he. So you panic thinking something is wrong with the pony, boots on, flying out the door, to be told the pony's are fine and she put it on her own cut!

When friend had glass/splinter in her foot and I told her to tub it and poultice to draw it out :rolleyes:
@domane I fold over speed bumps too!
Driving to work and imaging galloping/jumping across all the fields and hedges
Having no clue how to deal with sick friends only advice being something horsey related, box rest, cold hose it?
When walking somewhere with OH saying "take a woah" to ask him to slow down
Spending 90% of your time worrying about what the buggers have done now, there's always something!
Having no shame walking round shops in breeches, long socks, smelly boots and polo top. I only seem to wear breeches or work clothes!
Forever tired and skint

Reactions: lauren123
When you tie your daughter's hair with plaiting bands.

When you tell the kids to muck out their rooms.

When you have to explain to the washing machine repair man why the filter is blocked with hay and horse hair.

When you ask for wellies for your birthday.

When you take the dog out on a lead rope and his collar is fashioned out of a flash nose band attachment.

When your eldest complains that it's really not sanitary to keep a plastic bag full of keepsake horse hair in the kitchen.

When you eye up other people's gardens as being suitable for putting a small pony in.

When your son asks for a bandage for a sprained ankle and you come back with a leg wrap.

When you start fixing everything with baler twine.

When you get your bank card out of your pocket to pay in Tesco and drop a hoof pick, several horse treats and said bailer twine on the counter before you can find the card.

Oh Chev! I'm guilty of using plaiting bands in my own hair! :p And I have used a mane brush and plastic comb on my own bonce too!

And I had forgotten that our dog's lead is a former lickit string.

Straw in the bed even when it's fresh linen!!!
When your shopping basket is full of items that aren't even for you like carrots, neeps, apples.........
When buying a new coat it's suitability is based on pocket size - ie, will they hold baler twine, swiss army knife, polos, small torch, gloves, hoof pick etc. Maybe I should just carry a "yard bag" instead?!!!!!!

Reactions: lauren123
When my friend was in hospital and she was bored I told her she needed some stable toys lol!
Yes trees! @Trewsers when you find shavings in my case in the bed!! Or shavings in the bath after a shower!
My parents often say there is more hay in the house then at the yard!!

Reactions: Trewsers
I also spend more time admiring and choosing new leadropes and headcollars than food!!!! I can whip around any supermarket at lightning speed but oh no, not the same at the local feed merchants! Hahaaaaa.
I often tell OH he needs to be box rested too! Hehee

White horse hair everywhere, including freshly washed work clothes.
The moment when the managing director came into work and picked straw out my hair and asked if I'd been rolling round in the hay, massive cringe!! :oops:

Reactions: domane and Trewsers
newrider.com