Where do you place importance, the process or the goal?

mayoguinness

Mayo my freind
Ok, so generally when I'm working with horses I have a goal in mind. Not all the time, sometimes, we just ride or play with no particual focus at all which I view as equally important.
However when working on something with a horse towards your percieved goal are you fully concentrated on getting the result or on whats happening in the process towards that? Generally the process is normally seen as the means to achieve the goal.

For example, I have been working with my mare over backing over a pole. This is something she has real issues with. She dislikes things round her back legs, although I've spent a lot of time getting her to accept a rope near her back legs, which she now does, other things still worry her. So as she backs over a pole, touching it or accidently moving it with her foot is a big issue.

She hasn't got good spacial (sp?) awareness. She finds it very difficult to judge how close she is to something, say a jump, when to take off and how high to jump. So actually knowing where the pole is, is difficult for her, she's constantly looking behind trying to gage how far it is away, how high to step and what to do if she catches it and it moves.

So first of all I just play with asking her to put one foot over it. Controlling her movement. If she takes a foot back without me asking she meets the pressure of the rope till she puts the foot back. Another thing she has a huge dislike for is pressure on her head. (I use a spliced rope halter meaning there are no knots which place less intensity on a specific area.) She reacts by putting her head up and pulling back. By keeping the pressure on (which isn't a huge amount) untill she steps forward she learns not only to keep a hoof where I ask her to keep it for the length of time I ask her to keep it there but also not to resist pressure.

Anyway, I've gone on enough about backing over the pole. The point is, although I've not yet achieved the goal of backing her over the pole, we have both learnt a lot from the process. Shes learnt how to pick her feet up, how to trust that I know where to put them and what I'm doing and how long to leave them and how not to resist pressure. She also learned that when she did move the pole with her feet how to contain her fear so it's expressed as just a snort and then a return to being in a calm and submissive mind frame ( instead of jumping upwards and backwards, her eyes having grown stalks;) ). I learned, how and when was the best time to apply pressure and release it in order to support her to trust; myself, the pole, the rope and her environment.

The goal of backing over the pole means nothing. How often is it going to be neccesery to back over a pole anyway? I could of gone in with strong energy, told her not to think about it and backed her up hard till she jumped back over it. This is asserting my dominant possistion but no leadership is envolved. Nothing is gained. The process of her thinking and working things out was really the goal in the end, and the act of backing over the pole was insignifcent (sp?).

So there is my anwser, but I wondered generally what people placed importance on, the process or the goal?

It's the process and the relationship that are important for me :)

I do try to have a goal in mind, although I'm not very good at doing so a lot of the time and I need to get to grips with that :rolleyes: When I do have a goal in mind however, if things aren't working out then I will abandon Plan A and try to address the situation that has arisen. I don't see it as a win/loose thing and I prefer not to get in fights with horses or have frightened ones in my space, so I try to use my brain power to manage their horsepower. It's safer, more rewarding and such fun :D

I suppose the fact that I'm more concerned about what my horses think of me than I am about what other people think may well colour my judgement ;)

They have to be mutually important - If you don't get the process right, you don't get the goal and if you don't want the goal then there's little point in the process.

Definitely the process; it's how you do something that's important. the horse ahs no idea of your intentions, so if you focus too much on what you want to achieve, rather than the journey there, then the horse will never understand a) what you want, nor b) why. It is important to live in the moment and go one day at a time. I love the analogy of the basket weaver in one of the Heartland books. To me, it's like hitting an animal for a behaviour compared to educating it to think differently and thus change the undesired behaviour that way. No that this is a debate about that! Many people aren't fussed how they achieve something, so long that it is the fastest and most effective way. But to me this can have a dstrimental effect on the rider's horsemanship and the horse-rider relationship.

x

Progress within the process to reach the goal. When I have reached the goal there's generally another one to aim at.

Arguably the process is the goal.

x

No, because the process is the action of getting to the goal - The goal in the OP is to desensitise her mare with things around her back legs, the (first part, I'm presuming) process is backing her up over the pole. It's part of a larger picture.

If I want to be able to sit in a cart with the traces done up and drive that is the goal. (for startes) the process will involve lots of exercises along the way, each with their own separate mini goals along the way.

:)

No, because the process is the action of getting to the goal - The goal in the OP is to desensitise her mare with things around her back legs, the (first part, I'm presuming) process is backing her up over the pole. It's part of a larger picture.

No. The goal I had in mind was backing her 4 feet over a pole. The process meant that she had to face issues such as things being around her back feet, her spacial awareness, pressure on her head and trust in humans. I achieved the goal when she raced back over the pole. The goal was no longer important though as it was the process and getting her to think that was helping her facing her fears. The goal in itself was just an excersise to see her reactionl.

But if you want your horse to, say, let people handle his back legs, then you need to consider his mind set. For this you can consider the two extremes; developing the horse's confidence and trust in having his hind legs handled, or reprimand any negative reaction to having his hind legs handled. Either way, you could have a horse that will let his hind legs be touched, but in which scenario would you say the horse had been most successfully trained and the goal achieved? The first involves the horse's perspective changing, whereas in the second he retains his discomfort and fear. The process makes all the difference, and it depends on what you want to achieve.

x

Last edited:
Process.

The goal of backing over the pole means nothing. How often is it going to be neccesery to back over a pole anyway?

Its not about the pole!!!!! Its about the horse getting confident about where it is putting its feet esp back ones. When does this apply? Reversing out of a trailer!

newrider.com