Where does a first time horse owner start looking?

BlackBess

Feb 27, 2008
I currently have a horse on part loan, but I have decided that the time has come for me to start looking for my first horse. In an ideal world, I would ask the owner if they would consider selling my part loan to me, as he is everything I'm looking for. But he is the one in a million, bombproof, confidence giving horse that don't come around that often and I know there have been a lot of offers already made so the chance of me buying him is close to zero.

So, I'm going to start looking for a safe, quiet horse who can help me get my confidence back and I have absolutely no idea where to start. My budget would be around £2500 to £3000 and I'd be looking for a 15hh-ish cob. I had thought my best option might be to go through a reputable dealer as I could give them a clear idea of what I'd be looking for plus I would have to pay for someone with much more horse experience than me to come with me for viewings.

I'd be really grateful for some advice from horse owners, especially first time owners on how you started searching for The One. Many thanks.

Sorry can't help as I pretty much did what you say in the first paragraph and bought my loan horse. I was very lucky. :rolleyes: Is there no way at all you can do this?

Is there anyone else you know that's experienced enough to go with you to viewings? I've heard dealers are a good route as you often get trial periods and things as well.

Asking around locally might be a start, and there are obviously loads online/in magazines. If I had to go through it all again I would write up a list of definite must haves and must not haves, and go and see as many as possible to be sure. I would also take at least one other person with me, maybe 2 (one that knows my horsey riding needs, confirmation and health) I'd try my hardest to be sensible and follow my head and probably fail :D

Looking online and in magazines then posting the horses on here so we can decide for you, I love looking at horses and someone from the outside may be able to help you decide if it's worth you going to see them or not.

I'm looking for my first loan and i'm just asking around people i know, including my RI. My RI has known me for about ten years and has seen every stage of my ability and confidence - she knows better than anyone else (even myself if i'm being honest :eek:) what sort of horse i'm going to need. I'm looking in my local tackshop, too, and i'm going to go to any viewings either with:
My sister
One of my horsey friends (all of whom are more experienced than me :D!)
My RI
My YM

I'm looking online, too but i'd prefer for my first to know their background and the people thay've come from - but this obviously isn't always possible.

I hope you find your special someone soon :).

Find an experienced friend/RI and just get out there and look, together.

I trawled through lots of adverts and word of mouth and went to see just about anything that sounded vaguely ideal - including horses that were not right for me, not as advertised or just not my cup of tea.

What I would say, is know what is a must for you and what you would be willing to compromise on and don't be too set on what you have in your head. I was looking for a 14.2-15hh lightweight cob and came back with a 17hh Irish TB! :)

Ask your RI/YO-I asked mine and he brought me 3 to choose from!!! YOs tend to know lots of dealers etc. You're not near Herts, are you? The dealer I got Beau from is the most amazing person ever! :) Try for a trial first if poss so you can really see what the horse is like.

I found my horse after trawling the many sites on the internet - I think it took me 3 or 4 months which isn't bad but I also made sure that all my horsey friends knew I was on the look out for a horse and the type I wanted as they can then spread the word and I think getting a horse on recommendation is a bonus because you will know a bit more about its history.
However, the horse I finally bought was via a site on the internet (there are some where you can set up searches for the type you are looking for and they email you every day with possible matches) luckily an instructor at my local riding school knew the owner/breeder well so I had some background and that was reassuring as it can be a minefield out there!!
I also took more experienced people with me to all my viewings except to the one I finally bought - but by then I felt pretty confident about what I was looking for and also better at saying no thank you to those that turned out to be unsuitable (or nothing like the advert!) to be honest when you don't know loads about buying horses for me the final decision, once I felt I had found THE ONE, rested pretty much on the vetting anyway and sadly they don't always go to plan.
Good luck with your search and don't get dispondent if your perfect horse doesn't turn up straight away it will eventually and you learn quite a bit along the way with the more you go and see :)

get your RI involved. When we bought our first pony, our RI and future YO came with us to every viewing, she also arranged 90% of our viewings as she had more contacts and knew WHERE the horses for sale were (this was before the days of the internet ;) ). also, don't restrict yourself. there are lots of quiet, confidence giving ISH's, TBx's etc. Cobs can be rather batty, i know mine is and he hasn't mellowed in 13 years ;)

Please please get loads of professional advice, you are about to enter a minefield, esp if you are looking for a novice riders horse. (I've been blown up twice now!)

Don't buy unless you are 100% certain. The cost and heartache of getting it wrong are incredable.

Don't mean to depress you though, I'm sure with sufficient backup, it will be an enjoyable experience, just don't do it like I did!

Even if it's a long shot I'd recommend putting in an offer for your share horse - they can only say no.

If you do start looking take a very experienced friend with you and also perhaps a more novice rider - it sounds like you want a horse that is safe in most circumstances with most rider.

Dealers are an option but you have to know what you're looking for and ensure that you don't end up being deceived - I know not all dealers do this and I know some cracking horses that have come from dealers but I've also heard some horror stories.

Bombproof cobs are worth their weight in gold - I paid £4k for my 6 year old and he's still green and needs bring on so a been there, done that cob may cost more depending on the market.

Ask around - benefits of the horsey grapevine is you can get snippets of information about horses that might be for sale, and you can put the word out that you are looking for one.
Still put in an offer for your loan horse - you never know ;)

Also, have you considered ILPH or Redwings etc.? Not the same as owning your own, but possibly more so than what you have at the moment, but they will tell the truth about the horse and they give you the support and back up if necessary.

Last edited:
Don't limit yourself to just cobs.
When looking for a first time hoss I had a cob on loan with a view to buy. She was an utter cowbag, kicked me black and blue, then bolted-nearly trampling my boyf.
Sent her back and started looking again. Bought a 15 years old ID X TB who had been there and done it. I moved him to my yard and he hated it- started rearing in hand and ridden. Off he went back home.
Had always dreamt of an arab and put an ad on arabian lines. A lovely lady responded and I ended up with AN EX RACING ARAB GELDING! he is perfect and such a confidence giver!

My advice? Advertise for what you want and let people come to you. Don't only say you want a cob.

My advice? Advertise for what you want and let people come to you. Don't only say you want a cob.

I second that about placing an ad yourself - I got loads of calls/emails when I put out 'wanted' ads but be very specific because you will get people trying to sell you allsorts! Also I found that because I was offering a permanent home people were more willing to reduce the price of their horse so you could end up with something you didn't think you could afford :)

newrider.com