Where does the energy come from?

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
My dog Molly is an English Springer Spaniel from working stock. She is nearly 9 now, very high mileage, and would be crippled with arthritis if it wasn't for Tramadol, but she is still the most astonishingly energetic dog I have ever known. An hour spent not crashing through the undergrowth, leaping through the long grass or plunging through streams is an hour wasted in Molly's book.

She was 4 and in her prime when this picture was taken and she still looks just the same (apart from the arthritis knots in her legs and paws):

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx188/jane_heritage/IMG_1408.jpg

The thing about the Mollydog is she doesn't eat much. All this feverish activity is fuelled by two small dishes of Beta dog food a day (she could have more, the food is always down, she self regulates) and one pig's ear.

Where does all her energy come from? She has no subcutaneous fat at all, and she is as hot as a little nuclear reactor, too. What is she burning? It doesn't seem possible that she does all that just on what she eats.

Do your dogs self regulate their food? Do they seem to have amazing amounts of energy based on not much input?

newrider.com