Where to go for a beach ride?

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Looking for a riding school that does beach rides, anywhere in the south of England.

This has always been an ambition and it's not happening on ale anytime soon but I still want to try it as I think it will be fun.

I can ride but I can be quite nervous so somewhere with safe horses and reassuring ride leaders used to people who are a bit wobbly to start with. Once I get into it I will forget I am scared!!

Some of us rode at Studland a few years back. I believe it has changed hands since. But at that time the beach group rides were not for wobbly people. You were supposed to do the cliff top ride instead. OH and I and another person negotiated a slower beach ride. But it wasnt a success - one of our group decided to turn back home. Once the horses get to the beach they are used to cantering there, and OH and I actually felt idiots not to let them!
It looks very different now. However you could book a private hack somewhere in Surrey e.g. Wildwoods to have a gallop on the downs, so you get comfortable going fast in open spaces and then go on a beach and have a great time. OH is too old and fragile for this.

Some of us rode at Studland a few years back. I believe it has changed hands since. But at that time the beach group rides were not for wobbly people. You were supposed to do the cliff top ride instead. OH and I and another person negotiated a slower beach ride. But it wasnt a success - one of our group decided to turn back home. Once the horses get to the beach they are used to cantering there, and OH and I actually felt idiots not to let them!
It looks very different now. However you could book a private hack somewhere in Surrey e.g. Wildwoods to have a gallop on the downs, so you get comfortable going fast in open spaces and then go on a beach and have a great time. OH is too old and fragile for this.

Thank-you it's good to hear your experience of them. I will ring and discuss what they have to offer and what suitability it is for me.

And a good idea to book a hack or two more locally beforehand. I had actually planned to do a few hacks in bushy park to start with so that will get me comfortable with cantering in open spaces again and go from there.

Thank-you for all the suggestions everyone, I'm really looking forward to it wherever I end up!!

Thank-you it's good to hear your experience of them. I will ring and discuss what they have to offer and what suitability it is for me.

And a good idea to book a hack or two more locally beforehand. I had actually planned to do a few hacks in bushy park to start with so that will get me comfortable with cantering in open spaces again and go from there.
If you bike in Richmond Park the hacking there is great. In summer off track canter even better. But depends on weather and ground conditions. Also gallop is forbidden. But on Epsom downs gallop used to be allowed.

Reactions: MrA
Thanks for all the replies everyone, ive actually decided to save up and book an adventure break and combine the beach ride into that.

Most likely in wales somewhere as that seems to be the best place to do it.

Would be really nice to go on an exciting action packed holiday

newrider.com