where to teach canter

JennJ

Jun 21, 2004
leeds for now
Visit site
just curious were people would choose to canter a youngster for the first time? on a hill? in a closed off field? in a school? on a hack? with or without another horse? just interested.

I have taught Porsha who is nearly 3 and a half to freeschool canter in the school, on a corner, and she just dropped into it lovely, She is now at boarding school being backed:p and I feel that under saddle for her 1st canter I would like to do it on a hack on a slight hill, So then there are no corners for her to worry about and we can just go in a straight line with her using her back end well. Also I would prefer to do this in company of one other, but with me leading:) In the past out on a inhand hack we can manage a trot in company and alone and she comes back into a walk lovely:)

I got my advice from NR peeps and was chuffed when i pulled off my 1st canter with carn...

Thankfully i choose to canter when hacking him out alone so no company to over excite him...i choose a secure bridlepath so had no chance of him taking off sideways or any other way but forwards with soft slight hill...
Then attempted another short canter on the farm track slightly wider more open again on a hill and he went into canter with bit of work...

His first few attempts of canter were short 2 or 3 strides before dropped back into trot but each attempt was praised and never push so was positive learning for him...

Carn will now canter easily for further now...although will throw in the odd buck going into canter

My mare is 3.5 I cantered her out on a hack for the first time as it is a different gait to what she was use too with me on her back.

She can now canter on a 20 metre circle perfect and responds of my leg with immediate effect

hehehehehehehehehe :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
ICANTERED HIM!!!!!!
I was gonna do it on hack my instructor suggested school was safer and we were gonna do it monday however i was trotting round the corner asked for canter nothing hmmm try again in next corner and off we went lovely smooth and fairly balance on the correct leg was amazing no bucking no rushing spooking NOTHING. tried on left rain and again really good but on wrong leg im sooooo proud. NO exciting storys of my first (well charlies first ive cantered before) canter tho but thats not a bad thing really pleased :D:D:D

newrider.com