Where's my submissive loving Friesian gone????

vels mum

Jul 1, 2008
Shetland
As most you know Vel is now at my RI's yard for the current month, when I first put him there he was put in a field of his own, he coped ok with it but I could tell he really was missing horsey company, his field also opened onto a busy road so YO let me put him in a different field with her 3 yr old TB x Cob. The grass is richer in this field and Vel settled in straight away, him and Pilgrim have really teamed up.

However I took him out the field for the first time last night as I had a lesson, first off he shoved me over when I was tacking up, and was barging through me, whilst snorting and acting a little spooky.

RI decided to put him on the lunge first which is just as well as he went flying around the school doing a fab impression of a bucking bronco! He had a serious face on him, no submission from him at all, he wasnt looking to me for reasurrance either which he always does. His knee action was very impressive though and he looked stunning...........but thats not the point! :lol:

After around 10 minutes of lunging he started to lower his head and offered a little submission and acceptance and I did a little mounting/dismounting with him.

RI says it is probably the rich grass and she thinks he will have put on at leasdt 50 kilo's since arriving last week. He has shot up and is bulking out at an alarming rate but he is not turning porky its going in all the correct places!

RI also says after his severe illness when he had choke 2 years ago he has always been playing catch up in the growth department and he has been even slower at developing taking into account Friesians are very slow at maturing anyway.

However Vel is very well atm and feeling full of the joys of spring (we still have no summer in Shetland!)

I just hope he isnt gonna tun into some big crazed horse who wants to run me down and push me over, im so used to him being a big sap who loves his cuddles would rather spend hours with me than playing in the field. Looks like I might have to up my game a notch with him if last night was anything to go on.

Have another session with him today at 3 so will update how we get on..........its very windy today which probably wont help :rolleyes:

newrider.com