Which bit could suit a Section D Welsh Cob?

Beausowner

Feb 10, 2005
Ever since I've had Beau (seven months) he has hated the bit - first time he had an English bit (Western trained). His previous owner sent him with a straight cheek, thin mouth piece single jointed snaffle which he really hated -on the advice of the previous yard I stuck it out for three months but he didn't improve, got worse. I changed him to a happy mouth straight cheek with roller in the middle, which he happily accepted, but chewed through it within a month (and at those prices can't afford one every month!). I then put a training bit (anti pinch french link) but this was too heavy for him, so put a large ringed thick hollow mouthed french snaffle. He took to this, but it isn't quite stong enough (especially with the spooking). Can anyone tell me what sort of bit suits a Welsh Section D cob's mouth - I know it depends on the rider as well (I'm not heavy handed) but there must be some that suits that shape better than others! I've had his teeth checked and the shops, although they sell the bits, seem to have no knowledge at all when it comes to advice. Hope someone can help as it's getting a little expensive with the trial and error!

Just a thought, have you had his teeth looked at by a dentist since you've had him? That might be the source of your problems if not, though some horses just don't like bits.

My horse is a welshie but not a proper one and I had a bit of a quest to find a bit she really liked, she now has a mullen mouth hard rubber pelham though I also hack her bitless. Another proper welshie on our yard hacks in a straight bar happy mouth pelham and schools in a straight bar happy mouth loose ring snaffle. The thing in common is the lack of joint, don't know if you've tried one like that. If he does get strong at times then the pelham gives you a little extra control, though I use mine with an elastic curb which is milder.

Just a thought, Beau isn't a grey and from Somerset is he? My sister in law's horse used to share a field with a western trained cob by that name:)

I ride my welshie in a loose ring french link snaffle, and he's fine in it.

I'd agree with the lack of joint. Although a french link has a joint, it doesn't have a nutcracker action on the roof of the mouth, so is much gentler from that point of view. Perhaps its that nutcracker action he doesn't like.

Thanks to both of you. I have had his teeth checked. I'm riding him in the same bit as Senni's mum at the moment and he has taken to that the best out of all the ones I've tried, the only problem is at the moment that he is spooking and not listening quite as well - I'm sure he'll get out of it but I want something that feels a little more stronger for the time being, but not too strong as he is soft mouthed. I haven't tried the straight bar pelham bit, think this will be my next buy with the elastic curb and when he starts behaving again I can go back to the loose ring french link. One other thought I had was a copper bit with the rollers - he's very nervous at the moment and I read somewhere that the rollers act like a pacifier - does anyone know if this is right?

second the hangign cheek suggestion, my welshie loved them. she had a french link in it and one that allowed independent movement of each side

second the hangign cheek suggestion, my welshie loved them. she had a french link in it and one that allowed independent movement of each side

Welshies quite often have thick tongues and low palates which makes single jointed bits uncomfortable for the. Hanging cheeks take some of the pressure off the tongue, French link or unjointed bits do away with the problem of single jointed bits pinching the tongue and hitting the roof of the mouth. A low port sometimes helps as it gives the tongue more room, but be careful it's not high enough to bang the palate.

They can also be very sensitive which makes thinner mouthpieces a bit harsh for them, even though they tend to be strong. I'd go with Wally's suggestion of hanging cheek (they come in a variety of mouthpieces - try a mullen mouth or a French link) or Yann's pelham.

Thanks. I think the hanging cheek might work. He used to have a western bridle before I had him - I don't know a lot about these but don't they work on the poll instead of the mouth? If so then he should take to the hanging cheek. I just seem to remember that he didn't have a noseband - and he's never liked a noseband either.

The hanging cheek doesnt' actually use that much poll pressure, the hanging bit has more of a suspending effect on the bit. If you take up the reins the cheekpieces just tend to belly out rather than tighten. The pelham on the other hand does produce poll pressure if you use the curb rein independantly or to a lesser extent if you use roundings.

i have a welsh section D who has a very sensitive mouth and will certainly tell you when she's not happy with a bit! we settled on a loose ring jointed snaffle. she goes very well in this. we did try a straight bar happy mouth but she hated it, same with a jointed fulmar, jointed eggbut, straight and jointed dutch gag (suggested coz she can get incredibly strong). hanging cheek works well for my cob but i don't think my welshie would take kindly to it :D

Which just goes to show how it's really down to the individual horse eventerbabe! :D

Generally natives and Welsh cobs prefer the French link or unjointed mouthpiece because of their mouth conformation (which tends to be low palates and thick tongues so not much room in there - and single joints do tend to pinch a fleshy tongue) but each horse will have its own preference. The cobs I've had and worked with have usually gone well in the types of bit I mentioned, but there have been notable exceptions!

Have a look at the distance between the upper and lower jaw when the mouth is closed. That'll give an idea of how thick a bit you need - the mouthpiece needs to fit comfortably in that gap. Look to see if the tongue pokes out between the teeth when the mouth is closed - this is very common in natives and indicates a thick tongue that may not be happy with a single joint. A horse with a very fleshy tongue is sometimes happiest with a ported bit, which gives more room and takes some of the pressure off the tongue.

A hanging cheek is not specifically designed for poll pressure but it does afford a certain amount of leverage still - although certainly not to the same degree as shanked bits or pelhams. Western bits are often ported - it may well be worth trying a ported mouth pelham, since that would be fairly similar in action. I'd suggest you try with two reins if you're happy with both - that way you have a more sensitive contact and can gauge his reaction to the snaffle rein and the curb. That said, some horses go best with roundings regardless of what the bit's designers intended! :D

What about a Kimblewick with a low port, can be used like the snaffle with out the curb but for those times when you need extra brakes you can put the curb on and the port will offer the toung relief he may be seeking.

J

I have a section D cob who has a loose ring french link bit . But she is too strong in it as she just takes off . I just wondered if I should try a straight bar Pelham in her to try nd calm her down . I have to lunge her before I get on as she's is quite quick

I have a section D cob who has a loose ring french link bit . But she is too strong in it as she just takes off . I just wondered if I should try a straight bar Pelham in her to try nd calm her down . I have to lunge her before I get on as she's is quite quick

It sounds as though you have more of a schooling and/or riding problem than a bit problem. Upping the bit may work in the very short term, but longer term the chances are you'll have the same problem plus a harder mouth. I'm never convinced lunging before riding helps, all too often it just winds them up more plus you end up with a fitter horse so you have to lunge for longer to take the edge off so the horse gets fitter and so on and so on. Welshies are often, by their nature quick and onward bound, if you like them it's something you have to learn to cope with! Be a calm confident rider and learn to channel their energy. Lots of walk work to calm them down while keeping them moving & don't hang onto the rein as that seems to fire them up even more - yes I'm making a sweeping generalisation, but they often aren't anywhere near as fierce & fiery as they like to make out & once you get them on side they are utterly charming posers.

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com