Which do you find more effective?

How long is a piece of string?

Depends entirely on the horses mouth confirmation.

Rubber mouth pieces can be fairly thick, does your horse have room in its mouth for a thick mouth piece?

Obviously metal mouth pieces come in a variety of thicknesses.

I have the one that has the white plastic coating on it and its fairly flexible.

I have tried both on my boy and i feel that he is slightly better in the metal one, which i don't really want to go for but i seem to have more breaks with that one. When i used the white coated one yesterday i found it really hard to stop!

Just after some advise/views on what people thought about pelhams.

I do like Pelhams, because youve got the top rein which is in essence a snaffle and then the curb, but only if YOU decide to use it. Ive always liked pelhams, but then some horses dont like them,

I would personally always use a stronger bit rather than ragging on their mouths! (not saying you are in ANYWAY, but someone might take that the wrong way!!). And the Pelham seems to give it all, snaffle strenght of curb strenght when you need it! xxx

I do like Pelhams, because youve got the top rein which is in essence a snaffle and then the curb, but only if YOU decide to use it. Ive always liked pelhams, but then some horses dont like them,

I would personally always use a stronger bit rather than ragging on their mouths! (not saying you are in ANYWAY, but someone might take that the wrong way!!). And the Pelham seems to give it all, snaffle strenght of curb strenght when you need it! xxx

Don't worry i don't think that you are saying anything of the sort. Im not a heavy handed rider, and i don't like to pull my horse about in the mouth at all. He is just a big lad with big motions and im a small (ish) woman that needs a little help keeping him all together. He is very light on the flat its just when it comes to jumping that he gets strong.

I use the single rein with roundings rather than a double rein.

I have the one that has the white plastic coating on it and its fairly flexible.

I have tried both on my boy and i feel that he is slightly better in the metal one, which i don't really want to go for but i seem to have more breaks with that one. When i used the white coated one yesterday i found it really hard to stop!

Just after some advise/views on what people thought about pelhams.

If you find it easier to stop in the metal pelham, then that's the one (out of the choice you've given us) that's correct for him. If you have control without having to haul on the mouth, then your horse will be more comfortable and your arms should remain the same length lol. :)

If you find it easier to stop in the metal pelham, then that's the one (out of the choice you've given us) that's correct for him. If you have control without having to haul on the mouth, then your horse will be more comfortable and your arms should remain the same length lol. :)

Any other suggestions as to what i could use? open to all suggestions.

Same length arms are good though..:D

newrider.com