which saddle help please

One of those threads again - sorry:wink:
I will post a photo up as soon as I can, but I am here at work , stressing over which saddles would suit, then thought of you wonderful people!

14.1 welsh cob cross - probably a finer than a pure welsh D, but still chunky.

His current saddle is an old wintec that he came with, 16", 8" D-D. It fitted great at first, but now the panels are digging into his back:frown: It still fits nicely around his withers/shoulders/across his spine, but it is also lifting in trot. A back riser/numnah doesn't solve the problem,and I don't think the saddle is worth re-stuffing.

I tried a few saddles on him, and they all have this problem - even if they fit beautifully, they are up 'uphill' , so his rider is pushed to the back of the saddle, leaning forwards to compensate.:help:

He doesn't have high or prominent withers, but he does have well muscled shoulders, which is what the RI and I think causes the problem. His back is also quite muscled and flat.

I will get a saddler out, but I would like some ideas if anyone has experience of this shape pony please. Also, I don't have a massive budget, and certainly can't afford made to measure!

I am seriously thinking of the new thorowgoods with the rear 'shimz' - anyone used one? Or would a saddle company saddle (second hand) be a worthwhile investment?

Any advice/tips/suggestions gratefully recieved:biggrin:

I would wait to see what the saddler thinks and they should bring a wide range of saddles to try.

If you've had the wintec a while then it may be a case of the flocking flattening out and needs adjusting.

i'd be looking at an Ideal Highland and Cob saddle or some sort of working hunter which is straighter cut. My pure bred welsh D is getting a native pony saddle company Glen working hunter (hopefully!) later this year, a lot of the show people have them. The Jefferies VSD was a good fit on my unreg welsh D.

It's hard to tell from the picture but the saddle looks too far forward? It's over the shoulder which will make any saddle uphill at front :) but it is hard to see from pic

that photo is his old wintec, before it started causing problems. It has fairly forward knee rolls. That might be why it looks forward? When we were trying other saddles, the RI was helping, and I am quite sure we had them in the right place. The gorgeous VSD we tried was definitely behind his shoulder, but still uphill, and a back riser just made it not fit. :cry:

I had issues with the Wintec on Joy (14.3hh sec d). The panels under the cantle were not on contact with the back as the tree was curving away from her back.

Got a sadler out who simply put stuffing in that area, saddle was a CAIR saddle.

Wasn't convinced thanks to Pinkslady who used to be a memeber of NR a few years back. Also supected that the angles of the panels were too steep when looking at the seems from the tail. Got another opinion from a physio who confirmed all of this.

Ended up with a Thorowgood Cob GP 3D which not only has changeable gullet but also fish and changeable panels too. I alsways has the saddler do the check and alterations though.

This old thread has diagrams of what I mean. Particularly look out for the pinkslady posts. She forceful but spot on imho

http://newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133648&page=2

I Also supected that the angles of the panels were too steep when looking at the seems from the tail.
http://newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133648&page=2

that is exactly what Harry's wintec is doing now! Off to look at your thread link. - thank you.

Have found a Fergus saddle by West Clare Saddlery only 25 miles away - hopefully will be able to try it, but I have never heard of these saddles - aparently related to stubbens? anyone else heard of them?

http://www.elitesaddlery.com/West-Clare-Saddlery-Fergus-Leather-Saddle.html

Just had a look at that old thread, shame Pinks lady no longer posts on here.
I've certainly learnt something from reading it!:smoke:

newrider.com