Which wellies?

natural horse

Feb 9, 2011
Lancashire
www.easy-does-it.co.uk
I was just thinking this morning, when trudging through all the mud near the field gate, that I have had my wellies for about 8 years now. They are the Hunter wellies but the ones in the next price up from the basic range. Can`t remember their name. I have worn them every day to the yard and I go twice a day, plus they were worn whenever we went to muddy showgrounds, so that is a lot of wear. The only thing wrong with them is that one of the buckles on the side has come off. Although Hunter wellies are expensive if they last so long then you certainly get your money`s worth. :happy:
Has anyone else had their wellies for so long and what make of wellies do you buy?

Last edited:
I'm a Muck Boot gal, meself... had a couple of pairs of Tynes which I used to ride in as well then got a "proper" pair of leather riding boots in a sale and would never ride in Tynes again. Didn't realise how they deaden your leg. Also the sole is primarily for riding so they don't grip well in icy weather. The winter just gone I progressed to the Derwents and they have been FAB! This time of year I wear short, leather paddock boots. Currently have Dublin Spirits which are as comfortable as slippers, but am coveting the Shires Broadways as they have a thicker sole.

I was a huge Hunter welly fan - having had a couple of pairs for years and years - but after finally having to fork our for new ones have been very disappointed.

Fist new pair lasted 18 months before they cracked and split around the ankle area - so bought another pair over in England as thought the useless ones I bought here might have been fakes (was of a tack stall at a fair). Now the 2nd new pair that are about 6 months old also look like they are starting to crack!:devil:

Someone told me that Hunters are now owned by another company and the materials used aren't up to the same high standard they used to be. Don't know if this is true but won't be buying another pair.

I was a huge Hunter welly fan - having had a couple of pairs for years and years - but after finally having to fork our for new ones have been very disappointed.

Fist new pair lasted 18 months before they cracked and split around the ankle area - so bought another pair over in England as thought the useless ones I bought here might have been fakes (was of a tack stall at a fair). Now the 2nd new pair that are about 6 months old also look like they are starting to crack!:devil:

Someone told me that Hunters are now owned by another company and the materials used aren't up to the same high standard they used to be. Don't know if this is true but won't be buying another pair.

That is definately worth thinking about when I come to get another pair. I would certainly be complaining about your 2nd pair if they end up cracking after such a short time. :stomp:

I prefer muckers but I have to get a pair of wellies for uni apparantly
Anyone know of any good weelies in green/navy/black around a child size 13 to 1?

I had a pair of hunters for about 6 years. I used them for walking the dogs and by the time I got Caymen 8 months ago, they had started to leak.

I thought that was pretty good going though. I invested in another pair a few weeks ago (TK Maxx, £39.99 - not sure if they are in all stores).

I also have muckboots but they are too warm at this time of year. I got the Tay Sport and they were great for winter time.

I have a pair of hunters that are prob 13yrs old, but had been in my parents garage for the past 10yrs so were a nice surprise when mum brought them round. Im thinking of muck boots this winter as had two pairs of harry halls and a pair of rydales since jan 10 and all of them have fallen apart.

Ive read lots of bad reviews about new hunters but they do come with a years guarentee !

I had Hunter wellies and wouldn't have them again, what a waste of money for me! They fell to bits - ie, cracked down the sides of the foot within about amonth - and I did think they should have lasted a bit longer!
I've had all manner of wellies, I quite liked my Sherwood ones, but sadly they died too.....perhaps I have heavy feet or something???????! lol. I had some Dublin ones that were ok, but the best value are Robinsons Requisite ones, at £11 you can't go wrong. They were comfy too!

For me Hunters just dont' fit well and have the horrid narrow heel which means they're not very stable at the back and you can go over in them quite easily. I have Le Chameaus which I've had for 13 years, though they've been worn very lightly. Same kind of price as Hunters but a better fit, more stable and better quality. Just wish I could find them after a house move :stomp:

Hunters again - but the middle price ones - £50/60 ones are my fave. Mine lasted three years, wear them winter and summer twice a day. Mine have cracked around the ankles now and buckle come off one side. Are now my summer boots!! Mum and Dad did buy me a pair of wellies for Xmas that I thought I fancied - Seeland ones but am not so keen on them really and OH bought me a pair of the very expensive Aigle zip up the side Xmas before last with the neoprene warm lining. They are quite nice, but a bit big!!

Mine are Le Chameaus and they are LOVELY. Really really good for dog walking in the winter as well as they are comfy walking boot with good tread :)

newrider.com