Which western saddle pad?

Fi.

Dec 25, 2010
Norwich
Hi
I'm looking to get a new saddle pad and I am debating between a Cavallo Total Comfort Pad, as recommended by Monty Roberts, and maybe a Reinsman tacky too. Has anyone had any experience of these? I have read good things about them both. I am currently using a polyester 'wool' backed, 32' x 32' which is too big really. Any information gratefully recieved.

I use Proffesional choice air ride and love it, neoprene can make them too hot natural whool or felt seem to absorb the sweat a lot better. You could PM WesternSaddler she can point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
Thanks folks
I did wonder about her getting too hot in the neoprene, tried a friends felt pad which seemed to make her sweat more and pulled down over her withers :unsure:
I Am currently trying to be clever and have just trimmed the inner felt layer to take 1.5' off my current pad..... Looking good so far, I should be able to join the two outer layers on my machine. - wrecked my scissors though, that stuf is dense!
We have a pleasure ride tomorrow :dance: so must get it finished !!

Photos of the finished product and pleasure ride will be nice :wavespin:

Was a success! Will try to get some pics on in the next day or 2.
Lovely ride, but didn't get any pics on route.
A couple to be getting on with .....

I am not going to look at the camera
Picture 009.jpg

Okay then I will but I'm not going to look happy!
Picture 010.jpg

Better late than never.
Hacked out on our own today sooooo lovely :biggrin:, here we are with our new trimmed saddle pad.
205447_10150160539958557_736923556_6789154_2777250_n.jpg

and out on our bridleways complete with 'river' - was up to her tummy in the winter
216203_10150160534533557_736923556_6789081_3774515_n.jpg

- and horse bridge
207149_10150160532833557_736923556_6789060_3737144_n.jpg

208035_10150160534308557_736923556_6789076_3624089_n.jpg

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...0160534533557_736923556_6789081_3774515_n.jpg

Stunning Girl :cloud9:
222000_10150160538098557_736923556_6789129_7898692_n.jpg

Stunning girlie,and have a feeling she knows it in that last pic:wink:

Sorry to be geeky but would you mind telling me what girthing system you are using there?? Looks like an ordinary cinch girth,but somehow doesn't look like the usual arrangment at the top where do it up (sorry that's as technical as I get,am still getting my head around western!!).

Glad you sorted the pad,I posted the same question a while back,and the general concensus seemed to be that the more expensive wool ones were best,is what I would like eventually but the prices scare me:unsure:

I almost bought a tacky too on e-bay so researched them a bit,they had really good reviews over the pond,most people who had them seemed to like them.

Your hacking area looks lovely BTW,am suitably jealous!!

Its the off billet you do it up like a normal girth and the latigo ( the long strap) does up on the near side.

Its the off billet you do it up like a normal girth and the latigo ( the long strap) does up on the near side.

Lol of course it is,soon as started reading your post realised my muppet mistake,duh!!

I will blame it on not having had a cigarette for two day's now,and the fact that I am a cop out and use girth conveters on my western saddle:redface:

Lol of course it is,soon as started reading your post realised my muppet mistake,duh!!

I will blame it on not having had a cigarette for two day's now,and the fact that I am a cop out and use girth conveters on my western saddle:redface:

Not a cop out more of a praticle move :wink:

Glad you sorted the pad,I posted the same question a while back,and the general concensus seemed to be that the more expensive wool ones were best,is what I would like eventually but the prices scare me:unsure:

I almost bought a tacky too on e-bay so researched them a bit,they had really good reviews over the pond,most people who had them seemed to like them.

Your hacking area looks lovely BTW,am suitably jealous!!

Thanks, yes I have reached the same conclusion now about pads and I think I will hold out for a wool backed one, perhaps an air ride, the difficulty is being able to look at a variety without ordering online and having the hassle of sending back. I only have one western tack shop close to me and she is winding down now and not ordering any more in. Might head up to the SQH show on the 30th. :unsure:

I do, but I think it might be different to other fitters. I view saddlepads like english fitters view flocking. Therefore I carry a vast range of different types of pad. My first step is to get the tree right for the horse without a pad. Once that is established, I then find the best pad that enhances fit. I usually fit a little wide on the shoulder, therefore a shimmable pad is usually required, and as yet, I have never sold a Pro Choice pad with any saddle I have fitted, and that is not through not trying.

I see many customers with pad fetishes and they get out their 10-15 different pads :unsure: and none help. As they are all pretty similar in shape and design but all promise all sorts of different things. Also, I have never sold a neoprene pad - don't like them and recently read a research article saying neoprene should never be used for longer than 30 mins at a time.

So my answer to the question - is to use whichever pad helps, and sometimes you need to try lots. With that in mind, one of my biggest sellers are the shimmable pads as, although expensive, they do the job of many pads in one. :)

Thank you for your reply, very infomative and more food for thought! :unsure:
You have confirmed my decision on neoprene, however I know other people find them fine and I met someone on a pleasure ride who loved hers.
I am happy with my pad at the moment so I will keep my eyes open for a spare.

newrider.com