White line disease

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Hank has developed quite a seperation at the white line, so in doing some reading up I saw some interesting discussion about salt suplementation helping it (no clue how) but given its been so hot of late I'd been meaning to put a tub out for them and very interestingly as soon as I did hank went for it, and he's at it again today where the others aren't fussed for it. So I'm interested to see if there is any significant change in the coming days/weeks.

Yup salt is a good additive for WLD especially the rock salt or seas salt it think :)

I need to get Kia another rock salt, only problem is that he runs himself on it :D

Reactions: Jessey
Our lot have a diet saturated in salt spray from the sea, they also go and drink sea water given the chance. They still get WLD occasionally. I put out salt mineral copper blocks too.

I tried tried chunky on a Rockie salt lick years ago and he didn't touch it. I too read about sweating and salt replenishing, so I bought a Himalayan salt to hang in the field recently, I saw billy lick initially but not since. Not seen chunky on it. It seems to be going down but I think the damp atmosphere is causing it to drip. I'm wondering if I should dip it into the water buckets each day maybe. Although too much salt can cause problems obviously. Its better for them too take it and regulate themselves. I know when my sheep and cattle get deficient they go mad on the salt lick. Particular at lambing/calving, when the body is under more stresses. Then they don't touch it for a bit.

Reactions: orbvalley
I've put loose salt in a small bucket of water, so they can choose between salt water or plain :) my lot tend not to bother for salt licks, jess I've seen her lick the red rockies block once in about 3 years.

Last edited:
Our lot have a diet saturated in salt spray from the sea, they also go and drink sea water given the chance. They still get WLD occasionally. I put out salt mineral copper blocks too.

Gave sox his salk lick in the field recently and I came down yesterday to find it in half! Turns out rather then licking it he has being biting it!

newrider.com