Who does carrot stretches

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
My new physio has given me lots of 'carrot' stretches to do with Ben. They are all about stretching his muscles through his back and shoulder. She recommended that he stretches properly like this after every schooling session and especially after competing/having a lesson and travelling home. We were at a show today and I was doing his stretches before getting onto the lorry, but I was the only one. Most people just load and go home.

Who else does regular (daily) carrot stretches. What do you do and why? Do you think they have helped?

I do them after any kind of work. I think they do help, Ziggy had chiro yesterday for the first time in a year and he was in pretty good shape.

Often I hear clicks when we do the stretches.

I have done them in the past, on physio's recommendations, but stopped now - I can't honestly say I saw any obvious benefits. In fact I stopped doing them with Jack because he just became a nuisance with it - every time I went to pick out a foot or something he assumed there was a carrot involved and came round with his mouth open and teeth at the ready. Raf is much more gentle, but also very bendy so the stretches weren't at all challenging for him.

However, my favourite bit of Pilates is doing all the stretches to warm up and cool down, and I find they do iron out any little muscular tight spots. Perhaps carrot stretches have the same effect on horses.

Reactions: Trewsers
I do them, not daily tho unless theres specific issues but did them more frequently with jess when she was working hard, I do find it helps her be more even :)

I only do once in a blue moon. I have good intentions but it doesn't happen. I tell myself it would be good to do this for 5 minutes on the days they have off. Its so simple it could be done in the field before they have there food.
Someone who was at the yard did them with hers and I have to say she did them so regular that the horses were very flexible and cooperative.

I don't but should with Chloe as she is super bendy for her age and I often see her with a back leg in her mouth - lol it's really funny honest!!!
I tried them with Storm years ago but she got a bit nippy about it all.....

Me too, after every ride, I clean Belles teeth after each ride too, people thought I was bonkers but ED explained that it keeps the gums healthy and helps to stop the teeth wobbling when they get older , a bit like us too I guess.

Me too, after every ride, I clean Belles teeth after each ride too, people thought I was bonkers but ED explained that it keeps the gums healthy and helps to stop the teeth wobbling when they get older , a bit like us too I guess.

You are so lucky she will let you clean them. My Storm would have benefited from that, as I have to have her gums picked and flushed every three months now. I just cannot get her used to us doing things near her mouth - it has taken OH a long time to be able to worm her safely without a performance.
Do you use a brush or cloth and water?

Reactions: Kite_Rider
the Physio has given Hreyfing lots some with the handler 's body in the way to increase the stretch, and some with the side of the face against the hoof and altered so the chin, is aganst the hoof....all too technicaal for me

You are so lucky she will let you clean them. My Storm would have benefited from that, as I have to have her gums picked and flushed every three months now. I just cannot get her used to us doing things near her mouth - it has taken OH a long time to be able to worm her safely without a performance.
Do you use a brush or cloth and water?

She is such a good girl I know, I'm so lucky she's such an easy horse.
I use a sponge and water after every ride and then clean them with a brush and some mouthwash once a week :)

newrider.com