Who has contacted previous owners from passport details?

Laura_107

Oct 15, 2010
Edinburgh
My new horse has 4 previous owners (including the one I bought him off), and his passport includes details of the person who bred him.

I think I am going to write them letters, but to be honest I am a bit nervous about it and have no idea what to say :redface:.

What did you say and did you hear anything back? I would love to find out more about his history and if I was the person who had bred him I would love to find out about him 13 years down the line....

After a bit of googling I haven't found out much, so am just going to have to write letters the old fashioned way!

I did ! There was only two registered keepers for my horses passport though and his history before his was 4 was that he was in Ireland and came straight to a dealer.

I received a phone call and was in contact with his old owner for a few months, some of the stuff she told me I was a bit 'Ha ha no way, he wouldn't do that' then she sent some pictures and videos of him :eek:

He had done SO much with her and he has only hacked with me, but because he had been out and about so much I think this is why he is so relaxed and bombproof (or he's just laid back by nature) it was great and I would certainly do it again if I brought another one.

Do it ! :)

I did too - I managed to find a telephone number of Paddy's owner prior to the one I brought him off and just called her. She was lovely and told me so much about what he did with them and also his previous owner (no record on passport of them). I found out he'd been used as a hunt schoolmaster for people who'd never been hunting and he'd done lots of SJ. Even more intriguing was I found out he'd had a little accident in a trailer once where he took some of the skin off his back from the bar. This explains so much because he's not so keen on trailers. He travels well but coming off them he basically runs out. Horseboxes he just calmly walks off.

So yes definitely write to them. We never kept in touch but it was good to hear his history, I found it really interesting :smile:

I did twice.
My first mare was 23 years old, I was the first passport owner. I was still able to make calls, Google and trace her breeders though.

Second chap also traced breeders which is when I discovered he could be registered. So in doing so I have a pure bred that I didn't know I had.

Last edited:
One of Harvey's previous owners had written her phone number in his passport, asking to be let know if he was sold on further as he was "a much loved horse". I did phone her and she was able to tell me a lot about him, including why she had to sell him (her illness). She loved what we were going to do with him, and that we intended to have him for the rest of his life, as indeed we did.

I'm joys third owner. Her previous owner had her since backing and i got her aged 6, we are in fairly regular contact thanks to Facebook. I'm thinking of contacting the people who bred her and I'd love to meet Joy's dam who her previous owner days is still on the farm Joy was bred at.

newrider.com