who is running this year?

CharliesAngel

Jan 15, 2010
i remember this time last year a few of us were doing couch to 5k.. is anyone doing it this year? Jan is a common time to start running I believe lol

Im still running - I did the Balmoral 5k last April and then only ran very intermittently the rest of the year, to my shame. It has been VERY slow progress for me, I find I get going then I get some stupid cold or virus or just get super busy. I have found however that after thinking I wasn’t really making any progress that I must have as I joined a local jogscotland group this week and went straight into the intermediate group and ran 5k with them (with a 4 minute walk in the middle). Running with others is so much easier!!
Im aiming to do the 5k at Balmoral again but get a faster time this year if i can, then maybe aim for a 10k later in the year. At the moment Im still finding it hard to push past 5... but now Im in the group maybe it will be easier :)

Reactions: Jessey
I'm in!

Currently doing 5k quite slow in 30 mins.
I need to get up to 26.2 miles by May eek
Oh dear now I feel particularly rubbish, my best 5k time was 34 mins, (in my defence I am almost 55 and had never run in my life prior to C25K) it was my last run actually back in Sept, I know it sounds like an excuse but it’s not, I’ve been busy, had a lot of emotional and physical stuff going on and have either not had the time or the energy, desperate to start running again but I am advised not to just now, am waiting some tests after ending up in A&E last Sat, once I get the all clear i’ll be back running again, I miss it much more than I ever thought I would actually.
Good luck ladies.

I got very fat over Christmas so planned a new year, new me. Sadly, this virus planned it a little more drastically than I'd planned it! But when I'm stronger I'm deffo going to get back into running, now that mother nature has knocked a chunk of weight off!

Reactions: CharliesAngel
I'm planning on starting again this year. Now I'm not working with horses I may actually have the time and energy for other things :p I was always a runner, did competitive cross-country as a student, ran a bunch of marathons in my early 20s... but since then the only running I've done has been to catch buses :rolleyes: I miss it actually, I'm pretty fit still but being proper fit really does make you feel good. I won't be doing any of those big public runs though, not really interested in that stuff, I just run for fun. It seems to have got very "trendy" these days, all the fancy gear and expensive watches and posting your mileage on Facebook etc... really not my sort of thing!

it has got very trendy! I have to admit though - i have a couple of pairs of really nice micro fleece lined running leggings that double as jodhs :D ;)

I really struggle to ‘run for fun’, its a big effort when I go out on my own so Im really hoping this group will keep me more motivated.

Would anyone be interested if I started a running group thread? We could cheer each other on :)

There is a 5k run every week where I live. I haven't really got the excuse not to have I, if I look out the window I can watch. :D
As for times, just finishing would be a start. I am not a runner I am a walker and the fitness is completely different. The is a walk in the middle of the night I am more interested in.

Last edited:
I really struggle to ‘run for fun’, its a big effort when I go out on my own so Im really hoping this group will keep me more motivated.
That's why I used to take the cob jogging. Three miles is one of our usual routes, not flat so added puff / walking.
I am a bit useless when it comes to building on fitness. I walk about 28 miles a week, brisk not dawdle. Can easily walk more. But how to pop running in not a clue.

I got back into running last August I was running 3 times a week for 7 weeks. I started off running 15 minutes then added a minute to each run. I got up to 30 minutes over 7 weeks. Was so pleased with myself but week 7 my knees were hurting. Then I got injured by the horse so couldn't run as I was in pain from being crushed. I could have started again in December but couldn't get motivated. But my knees have still been giving me gip even though I haven't run. But yesterday as I didnt have my car I ran to work. I did have my running app on. It was 2 miles which I did in 18 minutes. I worked for a couple of hours then did a brisk walk home 2 miles in 33 minutes. Oh my am I suffering now. My thighs andy hips have been really bad and walking up and downstairs I seriously want to cry. I did feel good that I ran the 2 miles deliberately slowly but I knew it would hurt today. That's the bit I hate. My knees are also painful. I'm going to restart in February just running 15 minutes again. I had planned to start in January and have it scheduled on my calendar but I just keep deleting it at the moment. I know it helps my stress and depression as well. Maybe you lot will inspire me to get on with it.

I’m in. And like the idea of a running thread!
I started a few years back when I kept falling off flipo and he would feck off back to his field. Thought I better get fit to give chase!!
I have bouts of serious running (well serious for me) and am out five times a week, but then I’m a bit lapse. I’ll always have run about five times a month minimum and can always manage a couple of miles, but they will be slow ones!

This year I’ve decided to set myself a wee target - in the last few years I’ve had other goals to work towards (work qualifications and flipo issues) but this year it’s my health’s turn. I want to run a half marathon, and have set a date in November and have mini goals for a 5k and 10k at particular paces throughout the year on the lead up to it. Other than those three targets I’m just doing it to enjoy it. I love running, it’s very relaxing and meditative. And it helps my migraines. I hate running with other people, I do it occasionally but am more a solo gal. I’ve also been overtaken by 70yr old men round my town, so my chosen half marathon is not an organised one, I hate so many people being around me. My route Will be a beautiful flat one round a loch which I have already scouted out on a walk. My mate is going to be my support cyclist and I intend on buying myself a little necklace as a mark of the day - my medal for the achievement!
I’m hoping my targets are realistic but slightly stretching. We shall see! I’m currently fighting a sore throat and still been running the last two weeks but doing very short but tough ones. So 20minutes, but it’s half a mile up a steep hill and it kills but it seems to help build my fitness quicker for longer runs at the weekend.
Is everyone road runners or does anyone enjoy trail?

Reactions: HorseHelen
I have three obstacle races to run for charity again this year. Tough mudder half in May, Rough runner in Aug and Total Warrior in Sept.

Unfortunately due to stress, changing jobs and generally feeling like sh1t I have put on 2st since October. So I’ve been eating healthy and once I have rid myself of this lurgy (for the third time!!!) I will be back pounding the treadmill. I tend to use the treadmill until I can do 5K in about 50mins then I start running round country parks. I can no longer road run due to my PTSD which is really annoying and inhibiting but I’m determined to complete these and feel good for my trip to Poland in Sept and potentially Oz in Nov :)

I prefer trails. I did run a few times round the roads in September after it had been raining and the tracks were muddy and slippy but every time I had to cross a road it meant stopping for traffic which affected my running app time. I also couldn't hear it saying slow down or speed up with the traffic.
I can't believe that I am struggling when I read your goals and what you all do now and most of you are older than me.
I used to run cross country when I was younger and competed. I was one of the best in my year. Also cycled 6 miles a day to and from school. Either I have let myself go or I have worn my body out exercising too much when I was young.

I used to run, but got lazy! I occasionally pick it up again though, but i too prefer running with people and have no one to run with. I do the 30 day ab/leg/arm challenges, there is plenty of them on google. I do them throughout the year to keep me in shape, i am not always a healthy eater and often end up binging on junk food if my bipolar hits a low but i always manage to keep exercising in some way weather its alot of walking and occasional jog, bike ride or a 30 day challenge.

newrider.com