Who jumps with the carrot stick in their hand?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I don't necessarily mean bridle less i mean in preperation for it. I do carrot stick riding and i do carry it in neutral as well as in the traditional whip position.

Reason i'm asking is what are people's thoughts on the safety of jumping with it. I've not got the long pnp one, mine is lighter and shorter. BUT since i flew off the other day and landed on the side i was holding the stick my thoughts are this-

- the stick could have broke in half and caused me serious injury
- when the pony lands, the stick is fairly near the ground, so a stumbe from the pony could result in stick being pushed upwards and well i won't go on!

Your thoughts please

I do.

I have done a LOT of riding with the stick -- and have practiced dropping it too....I often practice emergency dismounts dropping the stick...

I also did a LOT of online jumping with my horse so I knew she was solid -- and have just started jumping when riding -- only tiny jumps right now, hope to get bigger over the next weeks.

I feel quite confidence about the stick -- I think f you don't feel confident with it, then do more freestyle riding with it until you feel ok with it...

Cathy

I did drop it, i think that's instinct, i let go of everything else.

Haven't thought of dropping doing the emergency stops though, that's good idea, i'll try that later.:)

newrider.com