Who's clipping in the near future?

Joyscarer

Dec 30, 2006
Hampshire
Joy's getting clipped this weekend. She'll have this one done again, but also with a half face. She'll be out rugless again this winter and still not drop much weight as she's such a good doer and the Hampshire winters clearer aren't hard enough to bother her! Littles will be rugged again this year though as he's getting on a bit and has a tendency to drop condition as I hope Joy would.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347440529.132836.jpg

I think Roxy will be too, she had a similar clip to Joy last year although in the end I didn't really ride enough to warrant her having it done - but October was a very warm month & she was getting uber sweaty when we did ride.

I hope now that I am in a more confident place with my ridden work and Roxy now has shoes that we will be out most weekends (sadly it'll be too dark after work) - she is so hairy in winter I can't imagine how hot she must get after a little exercise.

Last winter was really mild I seem to remember, aside from a couple of weeks in February. I wonder if this year will be as mild? I feel the temperature at the moment is slightly chilly for September, I wonder if it'll be a cold winter?

Jam has already had his first full clip of the season - he is a naturally warm horse and was struggling with the humidity as his winter fluff was already starting to come through. The other competition horses won't be done for another couple of months still. They are in full work all through the winter so normally have a clip in November and again in Feb/March.

It depends on the weather for rascal - no plans to clip but sweats when stabled if it's warm so may need a small clip.

Silver will have a low clip if she gets warm when worked. Last two winters she has been fully clipped as when her skin falls off it seems to make her happier as it doesn't get matted or come out in clumps. We have had two bad winters with her skin... Here's hoping we have a good one at long last

Mine is, he's booked in for a mid October, he's having the same as Joy but a bit more off at the sides and the face.

He's still casting his summer coat, so I want to give that a good chance to be gone first before I clip.

I could do with clipping my cob now but he is petrified of clippers so unless heavily sedated i can't get near him.

I would like to try and go clip free this year if I can. Although I ride him most days, he doesn't really get very sweaty and as I want him to stay living out all year I don't want to do it unless absolutely necessary. If we do clip, it will be similar to Joys I think.

Wasn't going to clip but think I may have too, my little beasty is already getting a very nice set of winter woolies and I believe this is just the start of things to come.

I have the clipper booked in for Wednesday and will be having a high trace clip same as last year.

Anyone near me, I can recommend Lizzie, she's fully mobile with battery clippers and charges £30 for a trace, which i think is pretty reasonable. Anyone interested PM me for her number :)

I've already done a full clip. Nearly 3 weeks ago. It was stupid. With it being so humid I had to keep washing him every day after a ride. Even when I rode a 7 in the morning he was sweating up. He was also moulting but it wasnt enough of a moult to cool him. I also hate the moulting hair it makes me itch on my legs, so off it came. I took him on a fun ride at the weekend, and im so glad he was clipped. He would have overheated.
The problem with doing it too early is the clip grows out very quick at this time of year.

I want to go on another fun ride in 2 weeks. I think he will need to be done again before he goes on that the rate hes growing hair.

I don't usually clip moët until approx mid oct. I may do her early oct and then redo early nov.

I need to get my blades sharpened pronto cos I'm sure it will go manic with everyone on the yard wanting their horses clipped!

I would like to try and go clip free this year if I can. Although I ride him most days, he doesn't really get very sweaty and as I want him to stay living out all year I don't want to do it unless absolutely necessary. If we do clip, it will be similar to Joys I think.

If he doesn't get very sweaty MP and don't think he needs it then obviously don't clip him,but just wanted to say that I have never had issues with clipped horses and living out.
It worries me same as it does you but I blanket clipped Marb last year and he was perfectly fine.I did rug him up quite well,but not all of them even need that (including him probably but it makes me feel better lol) depending on how bad a winter we get.

I will be clipping both of mine fairly soon,am holding off for now as still a lot of flies about down here with the nice weather,and at least the coat gives them a bit of protection and suspect they would get eaten alive if clipped.
Have to chance it soon though if still want them to work as getting quite sweaty when riding in last couple of weeks i have noticed.

Going to do a low trace on cob to start with and see how he goes,and at least a blanket clip on Marb again,or maybe even a full clip as he get's a really thick coat and is on more work.

newrider.com