WHP or Lightweight Hunter?

Asima

May 17, 2008
Wales
I was hoping to do some showing on OH's, arabxwelsh next summer, she's 13.2hh and I'm 17 a friend of mine said I'd be too old by then to do WHP as I'll be 18 in June. So having never shown ponies before I really don't know what the age limit is and I can't find anything on the web. Anyone know?

I don't know. I think for under 13.2hh the age limit is 15, but I may be wrong. But i'm sure there are plenty of unaffiliated classes you could do with no age limits. And you could also do welsh part bred classes if she is regsitered.

Flare competed in the 122cm and under class at Blair (NPS) this year with someone who was over 15 and the same rider competed and won the under 138cm class.

Would that be mountain and moorland whp though? there is no age limit on that, but as the horse in question is a part bred she is not eligible for those classes, only the normal whp which at affiliated level have an age limit.

Most unaffiliated classes won't have an age limit on them, so you'll be able to do them.

At affiliated level you'll be in the 13hh-14hh category - most affiliated classes will have an age limit - the BSPS (which is the association for most of the whp classes at major shows) says that for this height category "riders must not have attained their 17th birthday before the 1st of January in the current year", so yes, unfortunately you would be too old. The NPS have some classes with no age limit, but I haven't seen many of their shows around. I believe PUK has the same age category as BSPS, but it's worth checking their website/rulebook.

newrider.com