Why do my toes stick out at speed?

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
When I'm at halt, walk or trot my toes point forwards, without me thinking about them. As soon as Gracie goes into canter, or she is jumping, my toes go really ugly!! I have tried and tried to point my toes forward when I am out hacking, cantering in a forward seat in straight lines, but I really find that I am unable to get my toes forward...even then! I think it must be a gripping thing but I really don't know how to rectify it!!

Thing is, I don't think I'm particularly unbalanced in the saddle...our SJ last night was twisty-turny and G did some quite sharp bends at speed for me. After I'd finished I realised that my girth was loose and yet the saddle didn't slip. Perhaps I AM unconsciously gripping! Whatever it is, I'm doing something wrong somewhere.....

Halt (leg position without thinking)...

IMG-20180712-WA0004-600x901.jpg

Lap of honour at canter....toes at "10 to 2"...

IMG-20180712-WA0006-800x519.jpg

Jump....toes at "quarter to three"!!!

20180713_172658-600x632.jpg

Gracie is obviously very wide, but if I can control my toes at walk and trot, what goes wrong at canter? Before you suggest it, if I canter without stirrups, my feet go worse because I really DO grip then!!

We do need to turn our toes slightly outwards in order for the calf to touch the horse.

I did some exercises out hacking today and actually turned my whole leg out like your jumping photo. Then I relaxed and they came back to forwards. Maybe if you experimented doing that you would feel when you were pointing.

Saying that what I have done is ditch my long boots for the summer. I can feel what's going on down there a lot more. Plus it gave me an excuse to buy some nice new chaps.

Well I don't know, my RI tells me to open my knees in canter so that I don't grip, and I find that opening my knees makes my toes stick out, so I think if my toes point forward then I am gripping! This riding malarkey is all very complicated and difficult to get right, especially if your body is old and set in its ways, like mine. I truly admire people with a perfect leg position, they make it look so easy and yet it really isn't!

If I go into my safety seat then my toes go out, it's where my heels go further down and my calves drop to lock under jess' ribs, I guess I need to turn them out to get more of my calf on her sides.

Well wondering whether it is just a bane of owning a wide cob. Having Goggled "cobs jumping" images, it would seem that a lot of riders of jumping cobs appear to have the same affliction as me. Not all, but a lot. And as ugly as it looks, perhaps I need to make my peace with the fact that this 55yo leopard might not be able to change her spots - and just revel in the fact that I now enjoy jumping, even if it isn't stylish!

Besides, I made this comparison pic to illustrate to Jill that it's not just Albi that jumps big, but look at our feet!!

20180708_204600-800x800.jpg

I've told her we are so well matched we should do pairs!!! :p

I do think the combo of a wide barrel and shorter legs can make you do it when trying to get your lower leg on their sides, just because you're knee isn't at their widest point, I find I'm worse in some saddles than others.

Oh yes, of course my stirrups are shorter for jumping! That could well be a contributing factor. Thanks, Jessey.

Reactions: Jessey
I think it has something to do with the stability of your lower leg. If it swings back to far, your toes turn out.

If it bothers you, you could try cantering in a forward, jumping position to strengthen your leg position. From my riding school days I remember my instructor making us do this loads as he thought the lower leg position was very important. I personally only think it matters if you are doing serious jumping.

I always do forward canter on hacks, MP and my toes still stick out! It's chronic.....

However, another interesting observation... I compared my toes to some pics from last year when I still had my Monarch GP. Interestingly, they didn't poke out as much. My new saddle does have knee rolls and whilst it isn't a WH style, as the cob version, it does have slightly straighter saddle flaps and I have already told Dom that I need to save for an event saddle with big knee rolls for jumping as I don't feel as secure in my cob one, even over the little fences. So maybe I AM just gripping tighter.

I think if you have a nice long canter stretch go with a plan of cantering and as you are in the zone on a steady canter think about your toes and practice turning in them in and out. It will help you get a feel for what's going wrong. I've like gripping automatically.

newrider.com