Why do sellers lie & whats the biggest lie you've ever been told when buying?

See I've heard about a NR group before but never been able to find it. Always wondered if it was just because I'm not cool enough for an invite! Even searching the name directly I can't find it!
Same! I don't really go on FB anyway, other than to check on events and suchlike, but I thought I'd have a search for it and I can't find it. I'm definitely not cool enough, but I'm sure you are!
It's a private group, you can be invited I suppose?

Reactions: lauren123
Dunno NF! Nobody's ever invited me, and my posts on here don't really get replies either, so I went with the "not cool enough" theory a loooong time ago :p

With regards to the thread, I think it's only fair that we don't ALWAYS jump to the assumption the owner was lying. It's not unusual for horses to act out of character when they go somewhere new and have different experiences and different people looking after them. Sometimes the reaction is quite extreme. My recent experience loaning Annie out has showed me how much a horse you know really well can genuinely surprise you in a new home. I'd told the woman all sorts of stuff about Annie that were 100% honest from my personal experience owning her for 2 years, then she went off to her loan home and had a massive personality transplant and made me out to be a complete liar :rolleyes: Luckily the lady believed me when I said that wasn't normal for her, we talked about everything in depth and found various reasons for the various behaviours and the conclusion was made that it just wasn't going to be the right place for her. Horses can always surprise you so I wouldn't be so quick to think badly of the old owner unless you genuinely KNOW they lied to you.

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
Dunno NF! Nobody's ever invited me, and my posts on here don't really get replies either, so I went with the "not cool enough" theory a loooong time ago :p

With regards to the thread, I think it's only fair that we don't ALWAYS jump to the assumption the owner was lying. It's not unusual for horses to act out of character when they go somewhere new and have different experiences and different people looking after them. Sometimes the reaction is quite extreme. My recent experience loaning Annie out has showed me how much a horse you know really well can genuinely surprise you in a new home. I'd told the woman all sorts of stuff about Annie that were 100% honest from my personal experience owning her for 2 years, then she went off to her loan home and had a massive personality transplant and made me out to be a complete liar :rolleyes: Luckily the lady believed me when I said that wasn't normal for her, we talked about everything in depth and found various reasons for the various behaviours and the conclusion was made that it just wasn't going to be the right place for her. Horses can always surprise you so I wouldn't be so quick to think badly of the old owner unless you genuinely KNOW they lied to you.

Hi Josie, thats interesting. Ive Pmed you for a chat xx

You're a stalwart (and well respected) member of NR so I'm sure your theory is not correct!

Re the horses acting out of character, a couple of years ago YO sold a Section D mare from our yard who was the sweetest thing ever. Her new owners brought her back after a short time saying she was dangerous and not as described. They even brought her back in a turnout rug on a swelteringly hot day because they were too scared to take the rug off. From the moment she set foot back on our yard she was the same sweet girl that she'd always been. Subsequently got sold again and her new owners adored her and she's now doing all sorts getting out and about with them. Who knows what she couldn't cope with at the first yard, something obviously deeply stressed her, unless of course the new owners had just changed their minds and wanted an excuse to return her. They did seem genuinely frightened of her though.

Our Jack took some time to settle when we got him. He didn't do anything naughty under saddle though, mainly it was just refusing to be tied up and getting very stressed if he was left alone. It took a good six months before he settled in and longer than that for him to let us see his real personality.

Reactions: carthorse
My flipo was advertised as quiet happy hacker supposedly perfect for what I was looking for as a returning rider after a ten year break.
I expected him to take care of me, when he had behaved impeccably at the riding school from which I bought him, and why not, he was well looked after there and felt safe. With me, all of a sudden I wasn’t providing him with the confidence he needed and it went to sh!t. I lost my confidence and took around three years to rebuild his and mine together.
Buying and selling horses is a dangerous business imo. I agree there are extremes of behaviour that are lies, but like joosie says, genuine horses can develop issues in new environments with new people with no prior warning and they could be deemed liars which is unfair.
On saying all of that, about five years ago I learned that my horse had had a pretty bad scare while a rider mounted him and she fell and broke her collar bone. It explained his mounting issues which we’d by then resolved, but had I know at the time I bought him, I wouldn’t have bought him, but I’d have missed out on the wonderful years I’ve had with him.

Reactions: Russet and Trewsers
The one thing I find really worrying is the high number of ponies advertised as the perfect lead rein / first ridden and it turns out are absolutely fruit loop and dangerous. It's not as common now as it used to be thankfully but a lot would buy from auction thinking they could save on some money and bag a steal rather than go the longer route via private sellers etc.

A chap I know bought a pony from auction for his daughter years ago and was woken early in the morning to the noise of it kicking the crap out of its stable. Had all but managed to knock the internal divider right off its hinges and was wet through and wild eyed he said it looked ready to drop dead it was that worked up.
They just opened the stable door to let it out and hoped it would calm down but nobody could get near and it was running itself into a stupor. Vet came out and managed to get pony sedated and then loaded straight into a trailer and taken to someone experienced and I'm assuming had the means to keep him in the meantime. Not sure what the upshot was but I would have gone straight back to find the seller and hung him out to dry. It's not so much the being ripped off but the deliberate effort to drug a pony up to the eyeballs knowing it was going to be for a child.

My general approach and advice to people looking for horses to buy is take your time and spread your search out far and wide – I avoid Facebook horse buy and sell groups to be honest. Not that it's inherently bad or they're all dodgy sellers but you find a lot of dodgy folk frequent certain places and Facebook, Gumtree and Horsemart is quite often rife with the sort you shouldn't touch with a 20ft pole.

If you're searching for a horse or pony it's worth posting a “wanted” advert with as much detail about what you're hoping to buy, when and for what purpose. Be direct and to the point about the must / must not aspects i.e. “Must be a safe, suitable confidence giver for a 16yr old novice to ride out on supervised hacks / beach rides” and invite anyone who think they might have a horse suitable to message and give you more details.

I tend to pick up on the way people word adverts, certain key words and phraseology rhymed off by the token seller just hoping to get rid and quick as possible. Amazing how often you'll see “HOYS POTENTIAL! Wow this pony is truly one in a million. Excellent paces / very flashy / huge presence and bold jump / definite HOYS potential so must go to competitive home FIRST TO SEE WILL BUY THIS BOY IS TRULY ONE IN A MILLION FIRST TO SEE WILL BUY!!!”

Then you see photos they haven't uploaded the right way round so you have a sideways, three legged one eyed donkey that looks like something kids might poke and prod with a big stick

If you do like the sound and look of an advert and arrange to meet, always make sure the owner gets on and rides first so you can see how he goes and spend time watching and making you're happy to then get on and try for yourself. If a seller won't ride or comes up with an excuse / can't find someone else do not get on under any circumstances but ask if you can arrange another time when someone could ride him first.

When you've ridden and all seems well, I advise making a second unannounced visit and go over as though you just happened to be passing. Make sure the horse is still there, not crammed inside a burger van somewhere or presenting with a totally different temperament.

Before agreeing any sale, it's important to agree on a cooling off period during which time if you're not happy and don't feel the horse is safe or suitable, you can return him to the seller and be refunded. Needs to be fair and reasonable though I'd say most people will know within two weeks if a horse isn't for them.

I've drafted up simple but solid agreements for a few friends buying / selling horses so they have a full checklist and basic agreement signed and dated to cover both sides and avoid any issues that might crop up in future. If anyone wants a template or idea of how to make a simple agreement feel free to message me I'll fire one over for you to fill in as and when.

I have come across some real dodgy sods over the years but also found some brilliant horses, dogs and met a few friends online too I wouldn't trust anyone that seems happy letting me have their horse or dog without making sure I'm legit.

If you're not being grilled and the seller not bothered who you are and whether the horse is safe and suitable for you, chances are they couldn't care less about the horse and that means they'll care even less about what happens when it gets to you.

And finally, don't trust the ads with big sell words when the photo looks suspiciously like a festering pony with a serious drug problem.

I'd love to know how ladywiththebaby is getting on, if anyone is in touch and it wouldn't be intrusive. I don't know her personally but I did know the second pony she bought a little bit. I rode him when he was briefly on working livery - he was such a nice person and I was delighted that he found a good home.
Do you mean the lady who was one of the original NR moderators?

I went again all the rules when I got Con. the first time I tried to get on she dumped me under a hedge, twice! I fell in love with a gangly 4 year old. I’ve now got a not so gangly 24 yo who thinks she’s still 4

See I've heard about a NR group before but never been able to find it. Always wondered if it was just because I'm not cool enough for an invite! Even searching the name directly I can't find it!
I can’t either. The only NR FB group I can find was last used in 2018. Maybe we’re both persona non grata.

Well I must be very lucky, in this at least! I've been an idiot both times, and totally gone with my gut. I bought a totally green baby for my first - turned out just the best I could have asked for, and a fat field ornament, who, despite a few teething troubles, is beginning to become exactly what I wanted. I know people who have followed every rule in the book and had awful experiences - in at least one case, life threatening. I wouldn't advise people to do what I did, but there's no doubt in my mind that doing all the sensible things, then using a little intuition as well, goes a long way.

i thing it’s the same lady. I don’t know whether she ever used her name on here, so I’m loathe to use it to confirm

Oh no you are quite right not to out her! I only wondered how she got along with her second pony, who I knew before she bought him, but it's purely curiosity because I liked him. Not in the least worth causing any potential upset over.

I can't find the facebook group either, though I think I'd prefer to keep my real life and forum life somewhat separate, because I've talked incidentally on here about people and horses who would be identifiable through my fb profile. Even though I avoid naming names and personal details :)

I've also known sellers who wonder why buyers lie about their abilities - one of the scariest I saw was a person coming to try a fit young eventer who the seller had advertised very honestly as too much for her since he was sharp. Rider talked a fantastic line, said all the right things, and then he got on = OMG he would have been overhorsed with a quiet happy hacker, he could barely rise to the trot (and was lucky to get trot since he kicked hard!) and only the owner makinga grab for the horse prevented an accident. It cuts both ways.

It took me about 6 months to find my mare that I recently purchased. I viewed 9 horses and had two 5 stages on 1 horse over the course of six weeks in two parts of the country and was advised to walk away both times (long story) and then had a 2 stage on another more local one with a similarly dire warning emerging.
I don't think any of the sellers where I actually viewed were outright liars, the ones where the horses failed the vettings were genuinely surprised, there were a couple of sketchy "weight carrying 15hh" that really weren't quite that, and memorably we drove 2.5hrs to see a "suitable for a nervous novice" where I think the seller misheard me as the horse itself was clearly a nervous novice poor thing. There were a few where after some investigation it turned out the advert was worthy of a Booker Prize for fiction but luckily these were weeded out before we got there.

When calling to enquire about horses, I have in all cases made myself sound much worse and less confident a rider than I actually am and I kind of acted a bit more novicey generally than perhaps I am. Through my journey I got a lot better at defining what I did and didn't want and I think that this helped a lot, but it took me a while to stop being so wishy washy and indecisive so I don't think I was always the ideal customer either

I've not had my new mare long enough to say for certain she is as described or to know that no major health issue not picked up by a vetting will emerge but so far the signs are good. The seller is well established, had no bad reviews that I could find, selling horses isn't their main line of work and they tend not to move horses through quickly which I liked. When I bought the horse, the seller provided a detailed written report of everything they'd observed about the horse in the 5 months they'd had her, so I did all I could to protect myself from making too bad a mistake, but you can never be 100% certain of anything where horses are concerned.

newrider.com