Why have all the yard just used Equimax?

Dawny

Jan 6, 2010
Berkshire
Just moved onto a new livery yard. My boy has always had good results from his egg counts and have always followed the advice from my people who i use. Now I have had to use Equimax even though the yard manager before my boy arrived advised me that all the egg counts were good at the yard but now she has suddenly sprung the use of equimax for all the horses and an egg count in the spring of 2014 re the people she uses. (the horses are all in different paddocks) I am confused???????????? Why would we be using equimax???????????

Sounds a bit random? I assume there will be a treatment for encysted redworm long before that count in spring 2014? Why not count now and only dose any that need it, maybe none?
Sounds as though she doesn't really have her heart in the value of egg counting. Shame because this sort of random dosing, whether a horse needs it or not is not good practice in the long term.

Before anyone jumps in with the tapeworm fact 'They don't show in a worm count...' yes that is true (well mostly, tapeworm eggs are often seen under the microscope) and their treatment must be factored in. The best time to treat tapes is late autumn.

Did you ask the manager why? She may have a valid and considered reason.

I can't see the point of worming at all in August if the worm counts are low & are done regularly.

Done the wormer but feel for my poor boy if it is not the right thing to of done. Will confront her about it as feel concerned but don't want to fall out as the yard is fab and he and I are Happy apart from this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Dawny, you can certainly call for advice and a member of the team will be happy to talk with you. Have all the info you can at your fingertips as unfortunately the results for the yard will be confidential to the person who sent the samples in. I am not in the lab at present but there are other SQP's who would help.

newrider.com