Why is she doing this?

Sep 14, 2007
My 8month kitten is flat refusing to drink out of her waterbowl :confused:. It's the same bowl she's had since we first had her, it's been cleaned and rinsed the same way since she first came, it's in the same place, her diet hasn't changed recently - just in the past week or two she just won't drink from it! She'll drink from my glasses :rolleyes:, and i just caught her drinking washing up water - so why is she suddenly turning her nose up at her bowl? She has Whiskas milk too and she's quite happy to drink that out of her bowl - it's just water that she turns her nose up at. I even got some water from my own glass and poured it into her bowl in front of her so she could see it was exactly the same water :p - but she just looked at it, then went back to my glass and tried to drink out of that again :confused:! I pondered putting a short, fat glass down and putting water in that just to stop her getting dehydrated but she's still very playful and the last thing i want is her knocking it over and smashing it. She has a mixture of wet and dry kitten food, as well as fresh fish a few days a week (usually tuna or salmon), and otherwise seems perfectly happy - i'm just having to watch her really carefully to make sure she's drinking anything at all! Why is she doing this and how can i encourage her to drink from her bowl again :confused:?

It is quite common for cats to not like to drink right next to their feed, so you could try moving her water bowl to another part of the house. They also dont tend to like water which has been sat so even if she isn't drinking make sure her water is put down fresh daily. Most love to drink running water, and you can get especially designed fountain things which are great. My cat loves to drink from a running tap, other wise he chooses to always drink from the dogs bowl, even though he has his own! Her water intake may also decrease alot if she's eaten more wet food than normal, or wet to dry food. Wet cat food is 75% water. Is she going outside? I'd move her bowl and if she shows an interest offer her a running tap or a glass etc every now and again but I wouldn't be too worried she'll drink when she needs too! Cats are just fussy...darlings:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Don't worry about it too much - ditto Vic - my cats won't drink water from their bowl in kitchen but will drink from the one outside and the one on the upstairs landing - they also drink from the tap alot. Try moving the water bowl to somewhere totally different and do change it daily. She'll be fine ;)

cats often choose to drink pond water, or puddle water rather than tap water because their noses are so sensitive to the chlorine and other chemicals in treated tap water.....but I dont know why your cat prefers to drink from a glass rather than her bowl? Has it been boiled first? My cats like to drink my boiled water when its cooled, rather than drinking from their bowls...

Perhaps its just become a quirky habbit of hers?

newrider.com