Why is the horse world so full of jealousy

Lexi 123

Sep 9, 2019
I was watching a YouTube video about someone trying horses and I was seeing comments about how this person was a bad rider and doesn’t deserve a horse and how they don’t have a horse. I was Shocked with the comments why are people so jealous.

It's not just the horse world. It's the world as a whole.
Some people just take longer to mature or they just don't bother to get a life and pick holes in other people's.

I think there are some very jealous people in all walks of life. Have to say, I (don't know why) didn't expect to find it amongst "adult" horsey people though! Doh. I remember being on a yard and someone publicly berating my OH, saying he was "all gear and no idea". They didn't know who I was! It was silly and quite snide and nasty at the same time. Considering he is one of the most modest and mild mannered people around. I think they were a bit envious of him because he was having a go and it was mainly dominated with women. All meant to be adult. Ha. And of course he couldn't help having new gear, given that he'd not been riding long!
People can just generally be envious / jealous though of course like newforest says. I used to let it go over my head when possible.

Reactions: Huggy
I hate it. I have some friends who ride who I’m often with (not riding) and all they do is bitch about other people’s riding abilities. I now purposely never ride with them because I’m too scared what they’d be saying!
I do think it’s generally worse in horsey circles though?

I am very lucky. Harvey is on a small yard with riders ranging from one who just hacks round the block to one who rode for the Junior Nations Cup team. We all support each other and just get on with enjoying our horses.

I hate it. I have some friends who ride who I’m often with (not riding) and all they do is bitch about other people’s riding abilities. I now purposely never ride with them because I’m too scared what they’d be saying!
Now you see I would go out with them and say, right let's get round to talking about my faults it saves me paying my instructor. ;)
I only need to have the ability to manage my own.

Reactions: Toz and Huggy
It used to bother me, but age has made me less sensitive to it. I just avoid riding with people that would rile me. I used to hate riding alone, but love it now. I know lots of people have opinions on how little I do with Hogan, and think we should be schooling, or careering round the forest. Don't give a monkey's - I'm happy, he's happy - job done.

I went to a couple of dog shows years ago to meet up with my dog's breeder. I was so shocked by the snide bitchiness (excuse the pun) there - everyone seemed to be whispering about everyone else behind their backs, and I have a feeling the dogs were judged on who knew who, rather than how good they were. Eye opener!

It's miserable, but I've concluded some people bitch, judge and comment just because they are shallow and don't actually have anything worthwhile to contribute.

I think yards are difficult places, you put a bunch of people in one place with their pride and joy possessions and it's not surprising there is unrest especially with those who like to feel important, its a shame though.

I've also found that people who seem to have more problems with their horses (ie can't catch them, get carted every time they ride, don't get 100 feet before the napping starts etc,) are the ones who tend to be the most critical and snide. Jealousy tends to be born out of insecurity.

I prefer to ride alone as then I can do what I want according to how my horse feels and not be coerced into doing things I don't feel he should and hold others back.

I am probably considered the odd one out around here as my horses are out in the field every day even in winter, and aren't covered in gadgets and I wear high viz so I am odd one out. there is only one other rider around me who is similar and he also trains using NH stuff rather than draw reins.

I used to be on big yards when I shared horses and some of them were horrible.

Reactions: Skint and Huggy
I prefer to ride alone as then I can do what I want according to how my horse feels and not be coerced into doing things I don't feel he should and hold others back.

I am probably considered the odd one out around here as my horses are out in the field every day even in winter, and aren't covered in gadgets and I wear high viz so I am odd one out. there is only one other rider around me who is similar and he also trains using NH stuff rather than draw reins.

I used to be on big yards when I shared horses and some of them were horrible.
100%!

I've also found that people who seem to have more problems with their horses (ie can't catch them, get carted every time they ride, don't get 100 feet before the napping starts etc,) are the ones who tend to be the most critical and snide. Jealousy tends to be born out of insecurity.

This is what I think too.

And that's how bullying starts.

I know lots of people have opinions on how little I do with Hogan, and think we should be schooling, or careering round the forest. Don't give a monkey's - I'm happy, he's happy - job done.
Tell them his headcollar is over there. It ends the conversation.
I have found the people that say I would be schooling, why don't you ride them are the ones that won't step up and do it either.
You may get the "it's your horse it's down to you to ride it" :rolleyes:
Oh I will..;)

• Haha
I think some people believe that riding a difficult horse and having it misbehave shows they are fine experienced riders. because they can stay seated.
Whereas the art of good riding is to have it seem as if one is doing nothing. Watching one woman who chose the tricky horse, I always thought that if it had been me, I would by now have had that horse behave for me.

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
I think some people believe that riding a difficult horse and having it misbehave shows they are fine experienced riders. because they can stay seated.
Whereas the art of good riding is to have it seem as if one is doing nothing. Watching one woman who chose the tricky horse, I always thought that if it had been me, I would by now have had that horse behave for me.
That's true - years ago I went out, twice, with a woman who believed that good riding meant your horse doing anything he wanted, and not being afraid - to the point of recklessness. The first time, I naively assumed, was a one off, when her horse took off, at the gallop (not a fast canter, a gallop) down a steep hill. I had little option but to follow, Ramsey was determined to keep up. At the end, she was unfazed, and said "Oh he always does that". Second time, same scenario, but over a small wooden bridge - I didn't risk a third time.

I remember once at my yard a friend mentioned to me that the ladies sat round the table drinking tea spend all the time talking horses and horses but never actually ride theses.

Well I am at the yard various times I see them hack every morning about ten. I replied to her ‘sorry do you live at the yard, do you spend every day all day there’ nope than how do you know when people ride or how.

People at my yard think I don’t ride but I do pretty much every day.

Reactions: Jessey and Huggy
newrider.com