Wiggly Thread

Free Adverts from New Rider

newforest

Somewhere in the solar system
Mar 15, 2008
Just had the cob's fec results back.
She's got to be wormed as she has got a high burden of roundworm.
She was last wormed in May but as we have moved I decided to put her on the vet targeted programme.
She will need another fec in two months time.

Do you do the fec? I know it doesn't show up everything and you need to dose for that.
She's been on individual turnout on grazing that's not been touched for a few years.

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Yes we do worm egg counts. But we only worm for the nasties once a year. Our three are considered low risk but of course there's the tapeworm one. I can remember on a yard we were on we seemed to be forever worming! Nightmare of course for me with madam as you have to take a very slow approach.....

GaryB

Mar 23, 2015
I use FEC - he always comes up no eggs found, so its saved me a fortune over the years, not to mention not putting chemicals into him

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
I use FEC - he always comes up no eggs found, so its saved me a fortune over the years, not to mention not putting chemicals into him
This, but I worm for encysted in winter :)

Reactions: GaryB

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
...la la land
No im a bit naughty really.

Id never had a sample done. Once i got billy, I had them both tested, so done about 4 years ago. The two horses were separated then. Billy came back high, chunky was actually relatively low. The vet said that billy was a young horse thing, sometimes they are known to be high. But my management of chunky over the years and my occasional worming and poo picking, rotating obviously worked. Ive never had one done since. I really ought to have them done as they are now at home and intogether and cross grazed with the other animals. It would be worth knowing i think.

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I do fec’s, did my own last time which was far more effort than it was worth. I’m putting off doing Niko for a couple of months due to the local grass sickness cases and some statistical relevance of recent worming causing an increased risk.

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I do fec’s, did my own last time which was far more effort than it was worth. I’m putting off doing Niko for a couple of months due to the local grass sickness cases and some statistical relevance of recent worming causing an increased risk.
HOw did you do your own?

Pete's Mum

Jun 4, 2014
Yes, the last three yards I've been on have done FEC but always worked for encysted.

I think current yard does a saliva test for encysted, so that will be interesting.

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
The saliva test is for tapeworm, I didn’t think it covered encysted only a blood test can detect those?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Saliva is tape and yes bloods is encysted. Both need the vet out don't they? She will have the vet Jan for her teeth and tet.

Pete's Mum

Jun 4, 2014
The saliva test is for tapeworm, I didn’t think it covered encysted only a blood test can detect those?
My bad, this serves me right for posting late at night after a few G&T's :D

I think I've always worked for tapeworm too then but doing a saliva test this time - we'll do those ourselves via a kit from the lab.

I guess we'll still be worming for encysted too, unless we are doing bloods as a yard via the vets. Sure the YO will confirm what's what but I assume we'll just worm for encyated as easier to arrange.

• Haha
Reactions: Jessey

Pete's Mum

Jun 4, 2014
Is the saliva kit from Westgate or your vet can do it?
I believe Westgate is one of the providers :)

No idea if the vet can do it or not TBH. I'm assuming, it will be much cheaper us to do it ourselves to prevent an unnecessery call out and examination fee

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I believe Westgate is one of the providers :)

No idea if the vet can do it or not TBH. I'm assuming, it will be much cheaper us to do it ourselves to prevent an unnecessery call out and examination fee
Sorry I meant can they give me the kit to pass back to them.
They will be out anyway. :)

newrider.com