Will I 'fit' a Friesian?!

Melrose

Jan 23, 2012
WILL I BE TOO TALL?! :frown::frown:

I've always dreamed to own my own horse, and ALWAYS imagined them a Friesian, but I constantly worry i'm going to look too 'long' on them (have always been a worrier about my height throughout my riding days), as they don't have much 'length' in their body, which will make my legs look super long - particularly as i'd like to go into dressage with them and my stirrups would have to be longer than normal! I'm panicking now that I won't be able to have one :cry::cry: I'm 5ft 11 (though my leg length is about 35 inches, so I do have quite a long body) and i'm just around 10st in weight.

Here is a picture of me from 2 weeks ago. This boy is 16hh. Gives you a rough idea of my body shape!

meridingexpress.jpg

Don`t be daft :happy: .... There will most certainly be one out there that you fit comfortably. Heather Moffett had a student with a 17hh real thick set Friesian (stunning boy :inlove: ) and she was only about 5' 4" and looked tiny on him :giggle: but they worked brilliantly as a partnership, and you`ll find the same.

im 5.9 and weigh a tonne more than you (i know you're issue is height though). my lad is only 16.1 at the mo - most friesians are taller than he is. not only do they have height presence anyway, but they also are quite wide so do take up your leg quite well too.

Ooh yeah he is quite beasty! I've just seen a lot of them with their bodies not being very chunky at all! They are just all length in the legs and neck! :frown:

I would have thought if you went with a 'baroque' type Friesian you would get the width that would take up your leg.

take a look at some of my pics - you're extra 2" but extra tonne of absent weight will sit you lovely on one i think ;)

where abouts are you, see if we can get you a sit-on, see what you think :D

I'm 5' 4 and feel like I'm climbing a mountain onto 16hh, never mind 17hh. Fortunately the RS I'm now going to puts me on cobs at 15hh which is a more comfortable height for me.
At 5' 11 and 10 stone you'll be ok on a 16hh Friesan. Even 15hh would be ok weightwise but as you say, you have to think about your long legs.

Put your stirrups down and it'll be fine - I think having short stirrups always makes someone look too long in the leg as you notice the leg bunched up.

You'll have no problems if you look for the traditional freshen build not the new sports type ones - fayefriesan on trotbonlinebbreeds them I think - we. Have one of hers on our farm and he. Is lush !

Faye doesnt any more :( she worked/helped out at a mini stud, she bought one off him (Pheobe who is my lads sister ;) ), then he decided to sell up & sold them all off - the last ones have just gone in the last few months :(

here you are, here's my 5.9 on my 16.1 lad. also bear in mind that he is only 4 years old so a lot of filling out still to do, and he hasnt really been worked enough for any muscle tone yet.

my legs are about 33" (32 too short, 34 too long ;))

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 30
I had a friend in Portugal with two Friesians - she was a whopping 6'2'' and her horses were 16hh (not the chunky type either) - and I have to say, despite not being a Friesian fan, that she looked FAB on them, especially with her dressage-length stirrups!

I would expect a Friesian to have kind of a drafty round back with plenty of room for your leg.
I am 5'10" with a 34 inch inseam and it was definitely part of the reason why I chose to get a draft cross horse. My mare is only 15.3 but has so much barrel I don't have my feet dangeling under her belly like I do with my 16h TB :)

Yeah I guess you're right. Though they don't have much tummy in length, they are wide so will take up my leg a bit :wink:

take a look at some of my pics - you're extra 2" but extra tonne of absent weight will sit you lovely on one i think ;)

where abouts are you, see if we can get you a sit-on, see what you think :D

I'm in Devon! No ones near me :frown:

Just a thought but my friend breeds and sells friesians and runs Friesian experience days or weekends where you meet all hers and get to ride and have lessons on different friesians.
She is near North Wales/Chester border which is also not far from me and Taz so when weather gets better you could come up, ride different size friesians and meet Xander and Sylvie and you would be welcome to stay in my spare room if you wanted.
They are a very special breed and I will never now be without one. I got Sylvie direct, unseen from Holland and she was less than your budget :)

Just a thought but my friend breeds and sells friesians and runs Friesian experience days or weekends where you meet all hers and get to ride and have lessons on different friesians.
She is near North Wales/Chester border which is also not far from me and Taz so when weather gets better you could come up, ride different size friesians and meet Xander and Sylvie and you would be welcome to stay in my spare room if you wanted.
They are a very special breed and I will never now be without one. I got Sylvie direct, unseen from Holland and she was less than your budget :)

Wow really?! That sounds amazing - sounds exactly what i'd like to do before buying my own! And thank you sooo much for the offer of meeting yours, that'd be fab!!!! Does your friend have a website or anything about these Friesian days? :smile:

newrider.com