Wilson snaffle

LisW

Nov 13, 2007
Suffolk
Not used Wilson snaffle before, but new pony apparently seems to like this type of bit. I'm clueless as to how to use it though. She has a soft mouth, so need it set up to be gentle.
Also any info on whether a butterfly pelham is good for driving please? And how is it different from a different pelham?
Thanks.

Wally uses french-link butterfly pelhams so is better placed to advise than me, but when I have borrowed hers mine go really nicely in them, better than liverpools. Butterfly pelhams are correct in driving where other types of pelham are not but I am not sure on the specifics on action.

I have never driven in a wilson snaffle and am rusty on them (my BDS 1 was 15 years ago now and that is the last time I needed to know anything about them :eek: ) was going to look them up myself as wanted to try one on mine to see what they thought.

If I'm correct a wilson snaffle has two sets of rings, the outer rings attached to the mouthpiece and the inner set are floating. The cheekpiece attaches onto the inner set. On a soft setting the reins attach to both the inner and outer set and it acts similar to any other snaffle. On a harsh setting the reins attach onto the outer rings only, which when put into play puts pressure on the sides of the mouth as well as the nutcracker action from the single joint.

I tend only to use Wilsons and Butterfly Pelhams, generally a single link Wilson and a French link Butterfly.

I feel that they are a much softer, more forgiving bit than the straight bar of the Liverpool.

here's the French Link Butterfly, modelled charmingly by Charles Buttons Esq.

IMG_1792.jpg

ON the top ring it has a mild hanging cheek snaffle effect, with the French link too it is a vert forgiving bit for small mouths. Lightweight too.

...and once again Charles models the Wilson shown with the reins around both rings. As mentioned the cheeks attach to the floating rings, so when the bridle is off the horse and hanging in the harness room, there will be a jointed snaffle sliding through the two extra rings on the bit.....that's what it loos like, rather than a snaffle on a bridle with two lose rings sliding about on it.......if you see what I mean.

wilson-snaffle.jpg

wilson.jpg

Photos are very helpful Wally - thank you.
The butterfly pelham we have is a straight bar, not French link - presumably this isn't ideal? We do have a Wilson snaffle too. Apparently both these bits have been used for Trinkie.
Our other new pony Nemo seems to have been driven in a Liverpool.
He is long reining well, with no real issues so far - apart from the fact that he goes along with his head right down - not sure why.
Trinkie is not long reining so well just yet. Think has done more pairs recently & seems very anxious on her own. We tried her in just a Frech link snaffle yesterday.

newrider.com