wind=ouch

TBminx

Mar 22, 2013
I know wind effects most horses and it certainy does mine :frown:

Bringing them in from the paddock this evening it bit :furious:

I knew wind was gonna make them tricky on my own and have to come together. Usually easy enough but the wind made a rug over a gate lift and flap like a winged monster whch set them off in two different directions and at 16.1 and 17.1 both tbs and me under 5ft it was painful being yanked at speed :poop:

Then going through gate it flapped again and up lane it was just carnage to the point i thought dont know what do here and dont think can do this on y todd :unsure:

Needless to say after a handling and alot of swearing i got in with sore arms and shoulders hot and bothered and came home to a bottle of vino glad to have not lost one horse thought was gonna be a spec in the horizon and not lost a limb :wink:

I remember back when I was a groom, there were a couple of livery horses I hated bringing in when it was windy! They turned from well mannered easy to do horses, to snorting prancing monsters ! Im sure my arms would grow half a meter from being stretched!:giggle:

Ours are getting better - Storm has lived here 7 years now and she seems to have aclimatised to the wind - last night it was gusty but neither of them seemed to mind. Chloe is not fussed either, where she used to live was pretty high up and windy. Our wind speed today won't be fun - doesn't sound much at 20mph but the gusts are a lot more than that. Nothing like in winter, but I will definitely have my bp on to ride later!!!

I have found that i get more up tight about high winds than the horses do, perhaps there in lies the problem.

Am I the only one a little bit amused that Storm had issues with wind :giggle:

Mine are like Wally's and used to it - they're on the coast on a hill! they don't like bigger stuff flying in their face though - but then, does anyone?

I have never found weather makes Toby any more spooky than he is really.

If it is windy and we ride he may or may not be spooky, if it is hot and we ride, he may or may not be spooky. Have never found a common denominator, and probably never will!! It all depends on how he feels on the day!

Mine arent too bad in the wind unless stormy and high winds and are manageable to lead and ride, just a bit on their toes and will spook but this was a monster flapping induced panic :giggle:

I am not on my toes in the wind and was purposefully calm as they feed off your emotions and each other but when one spooked the other one did and it all fell to pieces :frown:

It wouldve been ok except I was on my own with both and they went off in different directions then lanky kept getting in the way and ontop of me so I was losing the will to live and in the final stretch of lane did get cross :redface:

Today putting them out (again on my own as hubby said its not windy so be fine and went off to the bank) they were grand til saw rug on gate (now removed haha) and froze and snorted and puffed huffed cos had blew up over pillar in a hump and reversed :poop:

I thought oh crap not again but had a chat with them and edged closer a few steps then again a chat and another few steps and then walked in gawping at it and rolling eyes but no spooking :wink:

I have removed said monster (it was there to shelter under when watching riders on the gallops in the rain lol) :giggle:

newrider.com