wintec stock saddle....

tog's mum

Jul 26, 2010
.....or similar

Want to start my youngter off western, He is only 3 now so this year will just sit on him and get him used to tack, and me 'up there' but no work with weight on as such, have seen these saddles and thought it may be a good thing to start with due to lightness and being able to adjust width. I would think that he will take a few years until I can happily fit a western saddle to him and be able to make small adjustments with pads.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these or a better option?:help:

OOOOoooo welcome to the forum. Lovely to have you here when it's obvious you're going to have some wonderful tales to share with us given this thread.

Is this the saddle you've been advised will best suit him?

I hadn't seen this style before but having just had a look it sounds and looks perfect for the job. Infact, you have persuaded me to invest in one too at some stage.

I am a big Wintec fan, I have their dressage saddle and western saddle and just sold my GP saddle. The red plate fits my horse well and I love the option of being able to change.

I have been lent a Barefoot treeless Nevada to try on Jack when he's gained a little weight and condition. I thought the treeless option would be a good one whilst he changes shape and then when he's found his "proper" self, I'll probably revert to a tree'd saddle again. The one I've borrowed has the fenders and leather stirrups and everything and I can't wait to try it out :dance:

It was mentioned by someone who sells western saddles (can't remember make) when I was swooning over them at Burghley horse trials, other than that just done some research and thought it may be a good option. They hadnt seen him. He is a norwegien fjord by the way.

My yard owner's are all western and she does have a saddle I can try, but he will change so much prob over the next 3 years that I really want something adjustable.

I have considered treeless and have not ruled it out, I used to use a freeform treeless on my exmoor mare and only things wrong were
1. it was too long for her very short back (it was a sb) and rubbed her.
2. i found the low down dressage style girth difficult to do up esp without the saddle sliding around, so it was fine when someone was around to help but not otherwise. Because they sort of 'bed down' once you have been riding a while you do have to do the girth up again.

Will have a look at the western treeless saddles, so if anyone has anymore idea's suggestions I would be grateful:wink:

Last edited:
Hiya!

I sell the Freemax Western treeless saddles. They look like a traditional western saddle and ride like one too. They have just brought out a short back version which we have in stock in a 15" and 16", the 16" is approx 21" long and the 15" is a smidge shorter. It's a lovely looking saddle and I can PM pics if you like.

They cinch up using a traditional western rigging system although if you prefer english girths you could always get a saddler to make some girth straps to fit over the rear and front rigging, and there are different forks that you can interchange as they grow.

I ride all but my large cob in this saddle (he could be ridden in it with a larger fork but he has his own treeless) and all my horses go so well in it, which is why I decided to sell them! They retail at just under £700 including VAT, and they are hand-made in Italy. Everyone that has ridden in mine would never know it was a treeless saddle. Here's a pic of my colt wearing my saddle, this is the square skirt normal version, not the short back model. :)

n95photos031.jpg

Let me know if you would like to know more. :)

newrider.com