Winter riding boots

When you say winter, are you meaning specifically for riding or a combo of yard and riding? Also are you wanting fleece / fur lined?

I'm like a broken record - muck boot co boots. Warm and comfy, and they don't break the bank. They do specifically winter ones too, though I haven't got those.

I had some fleece lined ones by HKM with zips and they had a stretchy panel so even if you have thin ankles they moulded nicely. I’m not sure on the model they were though.

I'm like a broken record - muck boot co boots. Warm and comfy, and they don't break the bank. They do specifically winter ones too, though I haven't got those.

I had a pair of muck boots the riding ones with the spur rests on and a narrow footbed. They were diabolical :eek: The sole at the heel came apart and omg this is gross but I'll tell anyway. One day I was turning Chloe out and walking up the hill and felt something stinging me and a warm trickle...............................I looked when I got back to the stables and my heel had been sliced open:eek::eek::eek::eek: I nearly retched! I hate blood. But it was down to the fact that they had a reinforced foot bed ) I think. Never again.
Glad you like yours though!

• Sad
Reactions: Huggy
Both OH and I have Mountain Horse short lace up winter riding books. Warm lined but not fleece. I bought mine early in 2002 after my first hack in snow and they are still perfect. I wore them when working on the yard as well.
I did need to buy matching half chaps to go over them - my normal cheap half chaps did not fit over these heavier boots with wider ankle. And I had to buy wider stirrups too. But I still have all this gear.

Ten years ago I would have agreed with you, I’ve stopped buying them as the last two pairs I’ve had have been a total waste of money.
Riding boots for winter I’ve got mountain horse rimfrost riders, I’ve had this pair for about three years now although they are starting to split a bit (I am a serial boot killer though) but I do wear them all year round to ride in.
Yard boots I went for ‘Bogs’ wellies, the thick neoprene ones, the soles aren’t as thick as muck boots but they are just as warm.

Ten years ago I would have agreed with you, I’ve stopped buying them as the last two pairs I’ve had have been a total waste of money.
Riding boots for winter I’ve got mountain horse rimfrost riders, I’ve had this pair for about three years now although they are starting to split a bit (I am a serial boot killer though) but I do wear them all year round to ride in.
Yard boots I went for ‘Bogs’ wellies, the thick neoprene ones, the soles aren’t as thick as muck boots but they are just as warm.

Ah happy memories of Rimfrost Riders lol
They were the first pair of long riding boots I ever owned. I was so pleased with them. They were lovely and warm. However, I'd not had Storm very long and it didn't half feel weird the first time I rode in those! I killed a few pairs later on too!!!!!

To be fair, I bought mine 2nd hand a year ago, but so far, they're holding up really well, and I wear them at least 4 times a week. Maybe mine are the older ones.

Reactions: Trewsers
I have short Ariat insulated Bromonts that are a few years old, the long ones just don't fit me right, that I wear with long fleece lined waterproof chaps. Since being converted to long boots I got a normal pair that are a bit too big so I can fit fleece insoles and a couple of pairs of thick long socks plus waterproof winter breeches - I do find if I can keep my legs warm my feet cope much better.

I got a pair of neoprene half chaps last year, which were toasty for winter riding ? I think I need to get thermal short boots to match this year!

I do sometimes hack in thermal wellies which is a huge plus point of caged stirrups! But not very safety conscience if you have regular stirrups.

I used to have Muck Boots but found them too cumbersome to be comfortable for schooling. They were definitely warm for hacking though, so depends what type of riding you are likely to be doing, too?

I’ve got the Ariat skyline gore tex boots which are fab and keep my feet toasty (and I’m currently sat here in sheepskin slippers in 27c as my feet were cold ?) and dry, I pair them with fleece lined Jody and normal half chaps if it’s really cold.

I had a pair of toggi columbus country boots, now got toggi canyon country boot. Toasty warm on cold days.

The only bad thing is that after a time they both collapsed at the ankles and went saggy. Which i find annoying. I hang my current ones upside down to try and prevent the sagging but its still happened.

newrider.com