winter riding query

rubysmum

Sep 11, 2006
leicester
would welcome any ideas/advice/feedback pls
ruby & oliver live on a farm - no evening facilities to ride once i loose the light - coming soon methinks - this is the first yr i have no flexibility with my working hrs - start work 7.30 am ish - finish by 4.30
so, i am looking at really only being able to ride sat/sun
my plan & feel free to critique is -
lunge both sat & sun
oliver will have 1hr lesson either sat/sun & hacked out [if i have company] other day
ruby will prob be schooled 1 day & hacked other day
[ruby will prob be doing 1x dressage test per month]
they will both be out 24/7 for as long as pos - def till after xmas
some possibility of the occasional weekday hack from other folks at yard but cant depend on it
so - is this enough to keep them ticking over - they are both used to MUCH more work than this????

If they are getting 24/7 turnout they shoudl be fine.

Thats the big thing. I dont have 24/7 turnout during the winter at my yard, but Tyler is ridden 4x a week and gets out in the school every day.

Jen
x

I'm sure they'll keep ticking over nicely with that! As greymare says, the turnout is key - ours were fine to ride the winter they stayed out every day (tho they did come in at night). We only managed to ride a couple of times a week and they were absolutely fine with that. Last winter when they were both in - it was a different story (we had to keep Joe in due to injury and box rest in the end).
Its rubbish when its too dark to ride isn't it? It gets to the stage where each end of the day (when you have free time!) is too dark!

I always used to get my horses fit before going into winter then with regular turn out and riding when you can I was able to sustain it through the winter. Sounds like you've got a good plan.

newrider.com