winter riding

I am only riding two to three days a week instead of five to six days. My horse has become very naughty as well due to lack of exercise

Last edited by a moderator:
I am riding about three times a week - we have an indoor school but winter field is 3/4 a mile from the yard and huge so it takes along time to bring in so sometimes don't ride and also cos of all the rain pony is getting fed up of being ridden in the school so much. Bridlepaths flooded by rain so today hacked down a busy main road so could do a circular ride and pony loved it he was so pleased to be doing something different.

I was getting a bit frustrated but try to think positively about all the riding I can do when its no longer winter etc.

I am riding about 1-2 times a week guaranteed with the odd ride possibly.

Over my Xmas holidays I will be out a bit more. Fortunately Tyler is the kind of horse that doesn't end up hyper after anytime off. I get the impression he is enjoying his holiday !!!!

Jenny and Tyler
x

I'm not bothered about the weather, personally. But haven't had any time at all this week, been ill, sorting out new job, starting new job. New pony arriving yesterday been arranging. But Red's had a good week just being a horse.

I love it, I have a horse that you can get out of the field or out of his stable, after how ever many weeks, months (or even years was the case the first time I rode him) and he will be as good as gold.

<3

I'm only managing once or twice a week, only rode once this week, and i was so adament that i was going to keep riding 4-6 times a week through winter. But with college, assignments, weather and dark nights just dont have time, but not to bothered as now he can have a easy winter and once it startes getting light again and better weather will start schooling for shows next year.
Also with christmas holidays soon will get some more riding in so thats good :D

I haven't ridden Queen out on the trails since November 11th (yes, I DO keep track), and she last had a saddle on...November 28th. It's been cold, but that's not the problem. Even the snow wouldn't be an issue, but it's the ICE that I don't want to risk. Even the short walk from her pasture to the heated barn (about 50 feet) makes me nervous, because of all the ice on the ground. The other barn with the indoor arena is another 50 feet away (if we cut through the first barn), but that's over a concrete walkway that's mostly ICE.
Basically, I'm not risking ANYTHING that I don't have to. She comes out of the pasture to get groomed, get checked over, hooves picked, grained, and have a little groundwork done. I'm already fed up with winter and no trails!! :mad:

i dont have a menage an fields are closed off. i have confidence issues with ridin my mare that i have to sort out, she doesnt get to hyper when ridden as she had 6 weeks off before and was an angel wen i got on. just she has thrown me a couple times an i get nervous. i am gonna try get sum riding in this week though, i hate the winter!

I can only ride at weekends in the winter because I work 8-4 so it's dark before and after work. This weekend has been a complete washout though, no riding at all thanks to torrential, freezing rain :(

Quite the opposite for me. It's far too hot to ride. We've had 30c+ days and all the horses have to come in at about 7am to get out of the heat.
I feel very sorry for all of you, that ice sounds awful :eek:

I ride about 5 times a week. 4 days in the school and on a sat hack out. Star is still coming back into work so if i don't feel like riding i make sure I lunge or loose school. I don't get to the yard until 8.30pm most nights in week due to work but we have an outdoor floodlit school. Luckily it is rubber so it doesn't get boggy and I just ride with a rain sheet on. Although today I think she got wise cos her girth area was soaked with wet mud so I rode her bareback for a bit after lunging her instead! I really enjoy 'pootling' around there every night and most nights leave after 10pm

i'm quite lucky, i dont go to school, so i have all day to ride, so i generally ride 6 times a week :D

It's a real effort to ride at the moment with the short days and also because I have a horse who manages to get every inch that isn't rugged, caked in mud.

I am at home most of the time, but this horrible weather has meant that I haven't even been out for a short hack for over 2 weeks. Can't leave my elderly loan pony by himself for very long anyway, so go out for about 45 minutes whilst he is eating his breakfast. It is nicer today and weather forecast is good for the week - but not sure if I will have time to ride due to hairdresser/taking cat to vet/Xmas shopping etc. I do feel guilty sometimes - but Frayne is quite happy taking life easy and I am taking her out inhand regularly (starting to break her to harness), so she is seeing traffic etc. I have arthritis, which is more painful in the cold/wet, and someone pointed out to me that riding is meant to be enjoyable - I am not getting Frayne fit or training her for a competition (and she is out in the field most days), so I aim to ride when the weather is reasonable and I have the time. I may well change my riding time to early afternoons (has to be early due to getting cows in at 4 pm), then I will be able to get out most days this week. In fact - going out now to see how much mud I need to scrape off her :D

Ali xx

I was in the same boat until I changed yards:) Was lucky to get 3 schooling sessions a week - that was with 3 outdoor's and 1 indoor arena:eek:

Since moving to the new yard last weekend I have ridden Casper 5 times and had a free schooling session - it's great! It only has a small indoor (15ft x 30ft) but big enought for me and the new outdoor will be ready in a couple of weeks (but think I'll stay indoor until the weather gets better):D

Not done any hacking (except the hack to the new yard). Because he's stabled at night I'm only riding either first thing in the morning or in the evening so he gets a full day in the field!

I don't mind the bad weather i'll go out in anything although not the dark. Lucky we have a indoor school but i just haven't been in the mood to ride lately, just can't get the motivation to ride, bored of the school the whole time. I have all the energy in the world to muck out the two of them but not to ride Prince. Meg is on box rest so don't need to ride her.

well ours have been stable for 3 days solid now with no turno out, im really mad because yard owner promised me winter turnout year when i was going to move yards last year

honeys not ben in work for 2 week due to a bad fitting saddle and shes also had the phisio

but when i can ride i ride 3 days a week, i started college this year and dont finish till 4 most day have no where to school and its too dark out
so just walk honey in hand down the lane with hi viz on

I've not ridden for a little while because its dark in the morning before work and in the evenings after work... Its not worth the risk riding in the dark even with high viz stuff on because all of the roads have a 60mph limit and people do that (and some!!). Charlie is quite happy not to be ridden and wont be a problem when i do ride him again. Im hoping to get a chance for a hack this weekend. I've been so busy at the weekends recently that its hard to get time to take him for a nice hack, but its calming down now :)

newrider.com