Winter rugs, help!

Lottie86

Aug 6, 2012
North Aberdeenshire
As many of you know I'm used to my Fells who can manage perfectly well over winter fully clipped and just in a rainsheet or a 50g rug at most (and still don't lose weight *sigh*) and who I have never ever seen shiver.

Chester however is a totally different kettle of fish and appears to be very thin skinned and feels the cold an awful lot more. Whenever we've had strong winds, snow or heavy rain over the last few weeks he's been shivering even with a rainsheet/50g on and he's been needing his 50g stable rug at school as the yard owner said he was getting cold in his fleece. I've therefore realised that the 150g rug I bought to be his winter emergency rug (I like to keep a thicker rug than they normally need in just in case the temp suddenly plummets) is actually going to be his standard autumn/early winter rug and so I have no idea what thickness to get him for the depths of winter or for his emergency rug as I'm not used to ponies who aren't naturally really hot bods and it's obviously colder up here and a *lot* more of an exposed location up here than he has been used to down south in Wales.

Any advice on what thickness turnout and stable rugs to get for him would be much appreciated from those of you who are knowledgeable about rugging as I'm hoping to get as much of his rug wardrobe as possible sorted over the summer whilst winter rugs are reduced, might as well save as much as I can!

Thanks in advance :)

I'm in a whole different climate down here in East anglia but I rarely rug over 200g, but like you like to have an emergency plan so I normally keep an old stable rug to put underneath if I need it, only when it dropped to -15 here a few years ago have I needed it but still. I had a tb on livery last year, he sweated in the 300g he arrived with. My neighbour will have 2 x 300g on her horse, when I've done him for her I'd say he's over warm though. Different people have different ideas.
ETA I've only just got jess out of her no fill at night, I've normally got rugs off by early April at the latest.

newrider.com