Winter turn out pad.

tiamaria lady

Jul 2, 2010
This is my first winter having a turnout area with sand. I just want to get advice on how you would use it. I know it's self explanatory bit what I mean is how long would you turn your horse out on it for? Would you keep giving regular haynets? Or pop them out for an hour and back in stable. She gets out on a hack alright but don't have too far to go where I am. I want to mind my paddocks and am so confused. Please help. I feel silly :oops:
Last few yrs she was in livery.

How much land have you got is the first question. If it's two acres, you could put a track around around the edge of both and use the centre for autumn and winter.
Possibly link to the sand area so they have a choice?

Thanks for your replies :) @ Jessy regarding the sand colic....thats something I only realised in last few weeks that it was a serious enough problem with sand. I wish I had known sooner. Now I'm nearly afraid to turn her out on it at all. I like the sound of the track. I never in a thousand years would have thought of that :rolleyes: going to get started on one at the weekend.

Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
Thanks for your replies :) @ Jessy regarding the sand colic....thats something I only realised in last few weeks that it was a serious enough problem with sand. I wish I had known sooner. Now I'm nearly afraid to turn her out on it at all. I like the sound of the track. I never in a thousand years would have thought of that :rolleyes: going to get started on one at the weekend.
I knew nothing of it before I moved to the brecks where we have very sandy soil (I'd had horses for 20 years prior), take a few simple precautions and you're as likely to avoid it as any other type of colic so don't not use your lovely all weather turn out because of it, but it is important to be aware of it :) We just don't feed off bare sand/the floor, clean up what they drop so they aren't tempted to, avoid bucket feeds on it especially if they tend to drop their food out of the bucket (again so they aren't tempted to clean it up), if they start to get watery poop then test for sand in the gut, and feed a dose of psyllium once in a while :)

newrider.com